Fish Question

aqualife08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Illinois
Can I add a wolf fish with any type of Bichirs? Would they get along with each other? This is my list for my 2 FL Gars. siamese bichir, Black Knife Fish, Common Wolf Fish and 2 FL Gars. Seem good friends?

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
wolf fish generally don't tolerate tankmates unless it's a huge tank

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
good tankmates for gars are slow moving predators. such as polypterids(bichirs). arapimas are good but at the same time get rediculously large. other gars. i dont know much about wolf fish but by judging by the name they seem rather aggressive. BTW are the gars the main fish in your tank.

aqualife08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Illinois
Yes they are my only fish in the tank. 180G

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
wolf fish in general should not be kept with other tankmates. i'd suggest against keeping them with gars (even though the question posed is not directly related to gars...and therefore baffling why it's specifically here in the gar forum) as they may decide to randomly attack (as wolf fish will often do). even though this MIGHT not outright injure the gar, it could spook them enough to break their backs. again, this combo is ill-advised--
--solomon

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
city_of_evil6661;1816024; said:
good tankmates for gars are slow moving predators. such as polypterids(bichirs). arapimas are good but at the same time get rediculously large. other gars. i dont know much about wolf fish but by judging by the name they seem rather aggressive. BTW are the gars the main fish in your tank.
how do you know?

and i would say no to the wolf fish.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
demjor19;1817150; said:
how do you know?

i would also add (to the highlighted comment) that young arapaima are also quite skittish, which makes them a bad tankmate choice for gars as they may set off the gars as well. size issues aside, skittish tankmates are ill-advised for gars--
--solomon

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
demjor19;1817150; said:
how do you know?

its what i have been told and read. so im assuming that they are good tank mates.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
you can try the wolf,but no gaurantees it wont attack.
when wolves are raised with other fish from young they generally do not attack other fish though.
btw,whats a siamese bichir?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;1817978; said:
i would also add (to the highlighted comment) that young arapaima are also quite skittish, which makes them a bad tankmate choice for gars as they may set off the gars as well. size issues aside, skittish tankmates are ill-advised for gars--
--solomon
and i just heard that young ones are hard to care for and die easily. not the right place to clarify though...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store