Fish rubbing?

Jen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Nebraska, USA
Are there any other causes for fish rubbing on rocks and other things in the tank other than ich? Water tests are all ok and they don't seem to do it all the time. They are four blue gill and a common pleco it's just one of the blue gill doing the rubbing and they are in a 150 gal tank with rena xp3, penguin 400, and a powerhead.

bryan.olsen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
vancouver wa
i dont know about bluegill but i have a few SA cichlid and its pretty common to see my red devils and oscars rubbing on rocks. just observe them close and look for any visual signs of anything

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Esp. watch for signs of ich, costia, or flukes.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
i used to worry alot about the fish rubbing on gravel....sometimes called flashing.........all my fish seem to flash from time to time.....once you have ruled out a diease...i would assume it is routine behavior.

Jen;688496; said:
Are there any other causes for fish rubbing on rocks and other things in the tank other than ich? Water tests are all ok and they don't seem to do it all the time. They are four blue gill and a common pleco it's just one of the blue gill doing the rubbing and they are in a 150 gal tank with rena xp3, penguin 400, and a powerhead.

Jen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Nebraska, USA
Ok thanks they've been setup in this tank for six months with no new fish added. So I'm gonna assume that it's normal behavior.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store