Fish Story Aquarium and Rescue, Naples, FL; two 4500 gal 13'x13'x4.5'

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Great vids. A couple of pool flood lights on either side of the FG pool windows would really bring out the colors of those beasts.

uwled.jpg

uwled.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would love to have a fish rescue place like that around me so I can do some volunteering work. By volunteering work, I mean do the feedings ;)

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Some are rescues, some are mine bought and raised, others are wild caught.

I am attaching a last summer's pic of the two tanks (Dolphin Fiberglass, Homestead, FL) with myself (6'3") for reference. The building story and scores of photos are here http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33968

That's a nice video, just posted http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...close-with-the-canon-SL1-amp-2-8-pancake-lens! Compared to this, mine are terrible but I aim to improve.

Thanks all. Noted, Oddball. That was my next step - to throw some external lights through the viewing windows and mitigate the glare... unless you are talking internal lights, under or overwater? (EDIT: Oh, now I see the attachment. Thanks again!)

Hey, Dinh, who said volunteers get to perform the "delightfulest" part of the job? How about cleaning a stinking 6' tall 500 gal prefilter? :) Kidding. Thanks!

1 with ref.JPG

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
That tank rocks!!!

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Appreciate the high marks, mate! Alas, I am anything but... And we are not open for business yet. I am finishing ten 240 gal, then a koi pond, then some paving, road signs, and other finishing touches, some more FWC permits, a final inspection and we hope to open the doors officially.

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Are any of the fish up for adoption? Im in south fl. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This will be decided at some point in future. Currently, we only use ~5%-10% of our bio-load capacity. So we can and need to get lots more so visitors have a trip-and-money-worth variety to look at, learn about, ask questions, etc.

It's pretty much a one-man or one and a half man operation for now. We plan to start with $3-$5 admission. The more fish and exhibits we have, the more we can charge, in theory.

Currently we could re-home some (unexciting) large common plecos and some low quality koi and some goldfish but they are not readily accessible atm (they are in a ~50,000 gal outside pond). Once we finish the exhibit koi pond, then I will pump the outside pond down and get the quality koi plus all of the above out and into the exhibit koi pond, where they can be caught if needed.

There will eventually be a list of fish available for adoption, once we get our website running, kind of like Jonathan Strazinsky had when he ran his Monster Fish Rescue in Orwell, OH (near Cleveland), if anyone's familiar with it. Meanwhile, we do look for connections. We already have the beginnings of a solid network of reliable new homes for donated / rescued fish, mostly commercial. On top of this, anyone who expresses a desire to adopt a fish and proves his/her knowledge and housing capacity, should be able to do so.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You may not be a legend but you definitely rock.I hope you are successful in getting your public aquarium up and running....I have family in Homestead,not sure how far that is from your location but I would love to visit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store