Fish that are "NOT" Reef Safe

k.tran

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2009
In a Room
Most Angels arent reef safe unless you get a Pygmy angel they are generally more reef safe. the larger angels arent so much but you can get lucky i have kept many large angles and have had great sucess with softies lps, sps.

Butterfly's arent reef safe either the only one i have had a ok experience with is the Copperband Butterfly. other than that all others WILL nip at corals.

Triggers that eat plankton ARE reef safe as in the blue mouth trigger and the niger trigger. all others will MOST LIKELY nip at corals.

REMEMBER its always a hit and miss with any fish. i know of clowns that eat corals. and wrasses that will destroy inverts and such. its a hit and miss but there are fish that will be easier than others.

ryeguy28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
rocky mount,NC
i find that clowns are not to much of sps nippers ( in my experience

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
Just wanted to note that alot of time's you'll see fish for sale that are market reef with caution those most likely refer to fish that will eat sessile inverts.

mr.reef24

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
k.tran;3225064; said:
Most Angels arent reef safe unless you get a Pygmy angel they are generally more reef safe. the larger angels arent so much but you can get lucky
genicanthus angels are pretty much completely reef safe, the very ocasional nip at most

Butterfly's arent reef safe either the only one i have had a ok experience with is the Copperband Butterfly. other than that all others WILL nip at corals.
member os the genus Hemiaurichthys and some members of Cheatodon (depending on location) as well as the schooling bannerfish H. diphruetes are zooplanktivores and very reef safe

thoughts

david17

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
Panama
BIGgourami;1649217; said:
cover corals in sand?
my goby love to take a a mouthfull of sand then go over the coral and kind of filter the sand with the gillls, covering the corals with sand,i just have to do a little extra flow with my hand to remove the sand.

i sand that bad?

heres a photo of my goby

DSC00404.JPG

Reactions: hunterthompson

david17

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
Panama
wegurdy09;3685988; said:
I have three Fire shrimp Lysmata debelius in my reef and theyve been model citizens. They are reef safe and usually peaceful, although they may not get along with some other shrimps. If you keep just one, you may not see him very often - if you add more shrimp, they will come out in the open more often.
i also have a fire shrimp(just one), and never see him i know he is alive becasue he come out of his cave at feeding time. is it by far the most expensive thing in my aquarium, my corals cost me $15ea the clownfish $25, and the fire shrimp $50.

Mushutherhinoscorpion

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2017
Horsharks are not they will eat chunks out of soft corals I have one that found my cateye meat corals to be teasty!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store