Fish you ignorantly put in a 10 gallon

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I had sarasa comets (big goldfish, not egg bodies, and the appropriate number of fins, just extra long, red & white) in with my Dwarf Gouramiis, WCMM, and Giant Cories in my dorm room 10g. They grew quite fast and ate the WCMMs, but did fine in the tank, and where quite healthy with 75% weekly water changes. I brought them home and put them in my 55 at 5", counting fins. Oddly enough, the 4"+ Giant cories died when I moved them to my fully cycled 55.
At one point, there where 6x 5" goldfish, 2x 4" cories and 3x 3" DGs (originally meant to be the centerpiece fish LOL) in that 10g, and everyone was fine.
(My first tank was a 55 - still what I have now. IMO, I prefer a 10, or just about any other tank to 55.)

Reactions: Jexnell

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
My mother bought a 5 gallon tank for the family living room in which we put a lot of guppies, sword tails, algae eaters, and a kuhli loach. Was ok for a while until the metal canopy that came with it (!!) started to leach rust into the tank and fish started dying. We replaced the lid but then I introduced a convict cichlid into the tank and things started to go sideways and that's when I got my first, very own 10 gallon at age 9 to house the convict and which I got more convicts and the more (because they started to breed like crazy. I think I had about 8 tanks within a year or two. Early Onset MTS. Ha.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Back when I was in the Army, I made Sgt and moved out of the normal barracks and into NCO housing (two man rooms compared to thirty plus). So I got myself a small tank with a dwarf gourami and a single angel fish. All was fine till the roommate showed up one day with a 6in Oscar in a bucket.....

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
My story is about a 5 gallon but I figures it fits.
5 gallon
1 dwarf gourami
3 pristella tetras
3 serape tetras, one was a longfin
and 3 black phantom tetras.

Funny story about the black phantom tetras, I had originally meant to get black skirt tetras but while the guy was getting the fish I wanted to keep looking at the fish and not go with him so I told him what I thought they were named. Ended up with black phantoms instead of black skirt tetras.

Reactions: midasman714

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Back when I was in the Army, I made Sgt and moved out of the normal barracks and into NCO housing (two man rooms compared to thirty plus). So I got myself a small tank with a dwarf gourami and a single angel fish. All was fine till the roommate showed up one day with a 6in Oscar in a bucket.....
I like this story. I can pretty much imagine the results! Oscar in a bucket is not what gouramies and angels want to hear. :hypnotize

Thanks for your service and belated congrats on your promotion.

Reactions: Jexnell

mitchkulis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
my tank 10g with black tetras and mollies. Oh lets not forget the iridescent "shark" which lived in there for a year and grew to 5inches. Anyways my little brother got the net and scooped him up while i was away and left him in there for hours. I came home and was devistated to find the floating cat fish in the net. The next day we burried him i cried. I was hooked on big fish ever since.

Reactions: Pedram

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Early 90s I had a 20G as a teenager, under gravel filter and household Fluoro for lighting. Had the usual inappropriate overstocked mix and match community with an angel,1 x clown loach , 1 x Bala shark, a few different cories ,several groups of 3 different tetras , red tail shark a few guppies and a breeding pair of kribensis. Somehow it ran well even with a very erratic maintenance schedule which involved occasionally changing anywhere between 10 to 90% of the water and filling it back up straight from the cold tap. Thinking about it now it was actually very problem free,maybe ignorance really is bliss.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I actually started with a 20g tank as an early teen. I often switched out my stock as a highly a.d.h.d. Kid would. Lots of different oscars and piranhas including a 12” red belly in 1’ x 2’ tank that I would pet. There wasn’t even enough room for it to turn around really.

When I eventually got a 10 gal I kept a pair of black piranhas in it. I tried to kill my black convicts by sentencing them to the black piranha tank and to my surprise it went the other way.

Also had a snakehead in the 20 gal at one point as well. I may have over stocked all my tanks but I can’t say I released anything into the wild. Lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store