Fishless Cycling

rayray

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
New Baltimore, MIchigan
I'm starting up a new leo ray tank. Put Water in it on Dec 10 and decided to try the Fishless Cycling. It has been less than 2 weeks and I already have my Nitrite levels showing up. Surprised at how fast it's working.

Mtaters

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I see its been a while since theres been an activity on this thread but I have a few questions anyways

first what type of de-chorinator did you use? would prime work or no?

and when do you run your tests before, right after, or a few hours after you add the daily ammonia?

Mtaters

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Thanks.

How long after you add the ammonia do you test the water

And would the bacteria in a bottle stuff work

Sorry for the the questions just a noob to the setting up a tank the right way :nilly: and want to get started on it tomorrow maybe

calioutlaw1a

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
California
Mtaters;4866748; said:
first what type of de-chorinator did you use? would prime work or no?

and when do you run your tests before, right after, or a few hours after you add the daily ammonia?
Literally any dechlor will work.
As far as when to test, it's not too important when you do it. What is important is that you recognize nitrites starting to show up, and nitrates starting to show up later. However, in general it makes more sense to test a few hours after adding ammonia so that the bacteria have a chance to convert it to nitrite.
So something like: Add ammonia in the morning, test at night.

Mtaters;4874647; said:
Prime says it eliminates ammonia and stress coat says it does too?
These do not eliminate ammonia, they bind ammonia making it nontoxic to fish but still available for use by the bacteria.

Mtaters;4874765; said:
Thanks.
And would the bacteria in a bottle stuff work
Seachem stability works very well. You can cycle your tank in less than a week, and add the fish during the cycle without harm. If you add fish, you dont need to add ammonia to the water, the fish will do that for you.

sarge5121976

Feeder Fish
Mar 14, 2011
eastpointe, mi
Im using this method in my new 125 gallon tank, this is my first fishless cycle and im adding 60 drops of ace hardware ammonia a day. Today is the 3 week mark and my ammonia reading is dark green on my api test kit and i have zero nitrites. I understand this can take some time and im fine with that but i dont want to waste time either if something is wrong. My water seems to be cloudy, from my understanding it could be a bacteria bloom. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store