Fishless tank cycle question

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Ok. It cycled this evenning. :)

I added another dose of nh4. I plan to have 0 nitrates and 0 nh4 tomorrow.

A big water change and then a couple of fish...:)

shriver

Feeder Fish
Jan 17, 2018
Coryloach I see that you are on line and I have a question.
We just started a 60 gal added pure ammonia without testing and now day 3 our ammonia is +8.0 should we drain the tank and start new or can we let it sit a few days

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
We just started a 60 gal added pure ammonia without testing and now day 3 our ammonia is +8.0 should we drain the tank and start new or can we let it sit a few days

Welcome aboard
C Coryloach

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
You should not let those high levels of ammonia because of the previously stated reasons. Ammonia and nitrite in high levels are toxic to the bacteria/archaea one is trying to establish.

Dose 3ppm ammonia and wait until that drops down, as many days that may take, possibly slower at first but then it will be converted every 24hrs each time. When nitrites start rising out of control, do a water change enough to drop them below 3ppm and dose ammonia again....Repeat the process until ammonia/nitrites are cleared within 24hrs. Then you're cycled/ready to add fish.

Reactions: JK47 and tlindsey

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
You should not let those high levels of ammonia because of the previously stated reasons. Ammonia and nitrite in high levels are toxic to the bacteria/archaea one is trying to establish.

Dose 3ppm ammonia and wait until that drops down, as many days that may take, possibly slower at first but then it will be converted every 24hrs each time. When nitrites start rising out of control, do a water change enough to drop them below 3ppm and dose ammonia again....Repeat the process until ammonia/nitrites are cleared within 24hrs. Then you're cycled/ready to add fish.
147% this ^

Many add wayyy too much ammonia and the system cannot balance out. I agree 3PPM is the sweet spot not matter the tank size. The bacterial colony does not need to handle significant amounts of ammonia or nitrite on day two. I found my cycles stall in the nitrite phase if I am over doing it with the ammonia doses on the front end.

Another though to consider is water changes during the cycle. If nitrate is continuously building and a person has little overall hardness in the water the pH can easily crash and set the cycle back a few notches as well. Especially us ray keepers who cycle on a typically larger scale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store