Five Amur catfish aka Silurus asotus

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wesley Wong kindly transferred his last 5 Amur catfish to me in Aug 2015. They were ~5". Easy to feed. Very agile, boisterous. Eel-like flexibility and movement forward and backward. There is a definite enforced hierarchy and a difference in growth rates. Today the biggest are ~18", smallest ~12". Indifferent to tank mates unless it's a wels. Like to swim one right under the other with the one below pushing with its head at the one above, synchronously changing direction.

Them and their tank mates in 240 gal:

100_7877.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This thread is not about wels but about its far more manageable cousin Amur catfish. Mine haven't grown much since the last update, it seems. So they are very far from the reported max of 3' or 3'+. The biggest couple are still around 20", the smaller ones might have added 1"-2" too.

As for wels, as you said it - must have a realistic plan and the means. Or better yet, tank/pond first, fish - second. Keeping in mind wels is now federally banned, so keeping it outdoors would need to be approved by Fish and Game Dept to make sure it cannot escape.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
This thread is not about wels but about its far more manageable cousin Amur catfish. Mine haven't grown much since the last update, it seems. So they are very far from the reported max of 3' or 3'+. The biggest couple are still around 20", the smaller ones might have added 1"-2" too.

As for wels, as you said it - must have a realistic plan and the means. Or better yet, tank/pond first, fish - second. Keeping in mind wels is now federally banned, so keeping it outdoors would need to be approved by Fish and Game Dept to make sure it cannot escape.
Oh yea yea, I totally get it. I just came across this thread, and thought I might as well ask. Yeah, I was just curious, I don't want to keep them or anything.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Dloks Dloks this is what i need to find long term

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Dloks Dloks this is what i need to find long term
These are cool looking just like the wallago but more slender. Man Viktor your tank is crystal clear what kind of filtration are you running in your systems?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store