fixing a crack

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
So I decided to learn the hard way on why not to tighten a bulkhead too tight. Got about a 13" crack in the tank now. Was thinking I might be able to attach a piece of glass on the inside but the crack does go all the way to the side and I'm not sure I'd trust that. Just looking for some feedback, pictures of from inside/outside of tank. My other option is to tear the tank down and store it until I can use it to build a bigger tank.

127.JPG

120.JPG

toddhgr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
Western Massachusetts
being that the crack is in the far upper portion of the tank water pressure really shouldn't be a problem, and since the outside is painted black you could probably be able to get away with having a pane of glass cut to fit the whole end. I'd have it cut exactly to the inside dimensions of the cracked pane and then just siliocone the heck out of it and install. This would be a quick and easy jerry rig fix. You could also replace the entire pane realativly easily.

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
I was thinking getting a piece of glass cut to the height of the back pane and a couple inches longer than the crack so the glass would only cover the crack and some. If I were to do this would I need to remove the silicone on the edges/bottom of the inside tank where the new glass would be sitting? Or would I even need to bring the glass to the bottom of the tank?

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
typically you'd want to put the piece of glass on the inside to fix the crack. the placement complicates thigns as you'll need to measure a peice that covers the whole crack (though preferably goes the full height of the tank as well) , drill the holes in the repalcement panel to match the existing and then silicone the new piece on, hopfullu having your holes match up when you do so.

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
Oh yeah, I'd be putting it on the inside of the tank for sure. The crack does go to the top of the tank so I would try and get the glass going up as high as I could get it. But yeah, getting the holes lined up would be the hardest part because I don't think it would be a good idea to try and drill the holes after I attach the glass.

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
Yeah that was my last resort, haha! Gonna be a pain to get the bracing off, anyone know any tricks to get the brace off without breaking more glass? I'm not worried about breaking the brace as it is already broken/cracked in some places so I would buy a new set of braces.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store