Flatnose ID pls

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Hey guys! Have this flatnose or "dwarf giraffe" I think some people call them.. I'm looking for an actual I'd on this guy... super hard to get good video but the first part of this video if you pause it gives a good image.. I'm sure its Parauchenoglanis but what type? Guttatus?
maybe you can help me out thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter ? Lol thanks in advance guys

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like a madtom.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Looks like a madtom.
I cant tell.. the adipose on a madtom is merged with the caudal fin I beleive while Parauchenoglanis are farther apart no? I dunno so many similar yet different species ... doesnt matter to me as I enjoy this fish and if he stays this size great.. if he gets a foot great... 2 feet great... bigger... then I'll be in trouble haha

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It is hard for me to see. You might have to get it into a phototank, especially to have a shot at the species ID level. I tend to agree with the genus of Parauchenoglanis (still the visual makes hard for me to be sure) but one prominent resident expert in this genus is Yellowcat Yellowcat .

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
It is hard for me to see. You might have to get it into a phototank, especially to have a shot at the species ID level. I tend to agree with the genus of Parauchenoglanis (still the visual makes hard for me to be sure) but one prominent resident expert in this genus is Yellowcat Yellowcat .
Catching that guy would be extremely tough in this tank.. I will however try to film underwater with tommorows feeding.. see if I can get a clearer shot then... I contacted the lfs to ask if they had some more info but all he said is hes pretty sure it is a Parauchenoglanis type

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
How big is the cat currently and how old?

Could be Parauchenoglanis Guttatus or even notoglandium macrastoma. With fewer larger spots on the dorsal fin in it could be P. Buettikoferi but unlikely due to this being much rarer to encounter.
I've only had it for 5 weeks now... got it at about 4.5 or 5 inches.. seems to have thickened up and grown maybe close to an inch in length... I though the same as you with the buett because other than 3 dots on the dorsal it doesnt have much other markings.. as guttatus and some others have spots all over their body but as you mentioned are more rare as I have researched not meaning it's not possible but who knows. Also beutt supposedly stay max 4 inches.. so if that's true than that's a no go.. like I said I'll take a better video tommorow.. or atleast try to

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store