Flex Seal Liquid

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I looked into using this on a filter, and the MSDS states NOT to use it around your pets food and water (Don't remember exact wording) and not tested for potable water. I'm not taking the chance around my fish because of this..... Like most of us, I have WAY too much money invested to take the chance.
So, I went digging around their website a little more and came upon the FAQ secion
http://flexsealproducts.com/shop/liquid/
It appears the spray and liquid are different in composition.
In the FAQ, the liquid formula states:
"Q: Is FLEX SEAL® LIQUID safe to use around plants, animals and food?

A: Yes, once fully cured, FLEX SEAL® LIQUID is safe to use around plants, animals and food."

Reactions: paulW

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I was also looking at the spray cans, so I guess by what you are saying above is that the spray is not safe but the other is?
That's what I get from reading the website's FAQ. I'm quessing the spray formula must have contain chemical propellant(s) that's unsafe and leeches out even after curing.
As I posted previously, they had a commercial on tv, and one of the diy project was a concrete goldfish pond....using the liquid formula.

Reactions: wednesday13

HEMP111

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2015
Greenville SC area
I got half way done with what I was doing with the spray cans and stopped. I guess I shouldn't try and go over it with the liquid, it may still leach over time. Be interesting to find out if the liquid works though.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
def. tempted to try this out aswell after seeing the new commercial... for $90 a gal its about the same price as fiberglass/resin tho. Was hoping itd b cheaper lol...

Santa Fe Discus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Check out my current build.

When I installed the 3/4" glass, it must of shifted slightly. One end was off by over 1/4". I was worried that the weight if the 8' glass would settle over time causing a leak. I filled the gap with flex seal to prevent the possible sagging. I also used it around all edges.

I used it to repair the sump too. The sump had a slight wabble to it and when I filled it up it ripped a seam. Flex seal worked great.

The silicones I usually use cure with acetic acid. This one smells like the mold resistant silicones that use ammonia instead. From what I understand there is no "mold poison" added and once cured it is inert. Time will tell. So far all of my discus are doing fine.

In my opinion flex seal has a future in aquarium use.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Speaking of this stuff, the guy I sold my 90 to was saying that he was going to try and use the flex seal stuff to possibly make a removable black rubber background. Basically he was thinking that once it's cured it can be easily taken back off. Thoughts? If it works I wouldn't mind trying that on my 125.

Santa Fe Discus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Speaking of this stuff, the guy I sold my 90 to was saying that he was going to try and use the flex seal stuff to possibly make a removable black rubber background. Basically he was thinking that once it's cured it can be easily taken back off. Thoughts? If it works I wouldn't mind trying that on my 125.
Interesting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store