Floating plants for high pH tank

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I tried duckweek but something keeps eating it. I managed to kill salvina before in my 29 gallon. I'm looking for floating plants for my 125 gallon now to shade my anubias. I have a FX6 filter and there is a lot of flow up top.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Two of my favorite floating plants are Amazon frogbits and dwarf water lettuce. Both grow in similar fashion...with runners and similar roots below. Roots from the frogbits are finer and grow longer.

image.jpeg
Aerial view of dwarf water lettuce. Pink line indicates the fishing line tied to two suction cups used to contain the plant to that corner. The plants to the right of the line are runners or overgrowth, which I weekly remove...fast growers.

image.jpeg
View below the surface. Roots can be trimmed.

image.jpeg
Frogbits I have growing in a bin outdoors...also fast growers.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Two of my favorite floating plants are Amazon frogbits and dwarf water lettuce. Both grow in similar fashion...with runners and similar roots below. Roots from the frogbits are finer and grow longer.
View attachment 1276971
Aerial view of dwarf water lettuce. Pink line indicates the fishing line tied to two suction cups used to contain the plant to that corner. The plants to the right of the line are runners or overgrowth, which I weekly remove...fast growers.
View attachment 1276974
View below the surface. Roots can be trimmed.
View attachment 1276975
Frogbits I have growing in a bin outdoors...also fast growers.

Very nice! What's your pH?

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Just turned on lights and co2, which will affect ph. I used to use RO water when I kept discus. Even had a ph meter that automatically turned on/off at a ph setting of my choice. Became so much work trying to please those discus, got rid of them and did away with the ph meter and no more filtering my own RO water...life's easy now

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Just turned on lights and co2, which will affect ph. I used to use RO water when I kept discus. Even had a ph meter that automatically turned on/off at a ph setting of my choice. Became so much work trying to please those discus, got rid of them and did away with the ph meter and no more filtering my own RO water...life's easy now
Yeah fish are fun but when it becomes too much work it ca quickly turn this hobby off.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
And wow that picture of the roots...freakin amazing! Are you using CO2? I just placed an order for frogbit.
Yes I am injecting co2 but not necessary. The frogbits grown outside does not receive any ferts...only a feeder goldfish in there to control mosquitos. Not sure if you have substrate to grow plants but here's another plant that can provide shade...the red tiger lotus. Once the leaves reach the surface, they'll act like an umbrella...beautiful plant.
image.jpeg

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Yes I am injecting co2 but not necessary. The frogbits grown outside does not receive any ferts...only a feeder goldfish in there to control mosquitos. Not sure if you have substrate to grow plants but here's another plant that can provide shade...the red tiger lotus. Once the leaves reach the surface, they'll act like an umbrella...beautiful plant.
View attachment 1277051
Oddly enough I managed to kill tiger lotus in my 29 gallon. It just never grow while everything else thrived. I have some dwarf lillies in my 125 which I hope will grow tall but it's experiencing slow growth. I may try the tiger lotus again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store