Flourite® Dark in a non planted aquarium?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I am having a custom acrylic 240 gallon (96Lx24Wx24H) made and will be housing a single 12" or 18" Piraya Piranha. I am thinking of using some kind of thick black sand or fine black gravel and found out about Flourite® Dark.

It looks natural enough and not artificial. What I am wondering is it worth it to buy this? Are there any negatives to it? Any dangers? Are there any other fine black gravels that are cheaper? It will cost upwards of $500 to fill up my tank 2" so I would rather get something cheaper. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Black Diamond Blasting Sand is going to be your cheapest black substrate at ~$10/50#s of sand. Man of us use it with great results.
I was hoping I could use gravel vs sand. But I have found that a lot of black gravels are actually white gravel just painted. Do you know of any true black gravels?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I use titanium oxide in my tanks, here in SA it's about $4 / 40lbs and once rinsed is pretty nice. It's not as fine as flourite dark but MUCH cheaper especially since you're not doing plants. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store