HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Back in March, tcarswell started an interesting thread about comparing filters. That thread unfortunately drifted off topic, thus, I decided against resurrecting it. However, I thought I'd bring an update on the flow rate of my Eheim 2262, which was originally requested by Justin during that discussion. The requirements for measuring flow rate are simple:

- bucket at water level (anything else is cheating with gravity)
- no spray bar (I am not using the original spray bar on my set-up)
- plug in, unplug, measure time and volume

• empty: There is still no dataon the flow rate of an empty Eheim 2262 - volunteers needed
  • 4 months: 338 gph without cleaning
  • ~1 year: 329 gph. One year without opening the canister :WHOA:
    Media is shown --> HERE <-- I have to admit that I am curious as to what the filter floss looks like. I may open it up over the Christmas holidays just to check it out. :D. I started backflushing a couple of months ago --> HERE <-- However, I did not see an effect on flow rate.
In conclusion, this proves that flow rate only drops minimally in a high powered Eheim. :)

HarleyK

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Very Good. Thank you.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Thanks Harley :) Wonder what a similarly maintained (and floss packed) FX5 runs GPH wise. Thats pretty incredible you only open it once a year. I do bi monthly on my eheims and fluvals and bi weekly on my HOB's.

Thanks again for the stats HarleyK.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I'm not so sure that is not a big drop.

the pump output for that filter is 900 gallons per hour.

now, we don't know under what conditions this is - it is probably just the pump, not hooked up to a filter, on a tank etc.

so, assuming 900gph under ideal conditions, setting it up on a tank with clean media you still probably have something like 700 gph new..

so a drop like that could mean 50% which is understandable after a year. but I wouldn't say the drop is minimal.

I found that with the eheim wetdry that I used to use, the flow rate would drop off noticably after a few months.

and not surprisingly, the media was quite dirty when I serviced it.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
The 2262 uses the 2262 pump which is 900 GPH at zero head without restrictions.

Put that on a canister with other restrictions inside and I bet its around 500-700 GPH.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
exactly. so its more like a 50% drop in flow.

which is still quite good considering the time lapse in between servicing.

however, given the amount of media contained in a filter that size, its not surprising.

its probably no different than other canisters.

more powerful pump + lots more media capacity means its going to take a lot longer to clog enough to really restrict flow.

TydayRox73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Tom,
your return pump should flow between 900gph and 1500gph.
I have a 90g sump that has a Reeflo Hammerhead at 5500gph. It is way to much and if I could redo my systemlogistically not possible at this time I would drop the return pump down to less than 1800gph.

HTH, Rich

Flow is much more important in the main tank

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

tcarswell;3585286; said:
I do bi monthly on my eheims and fluvals and bi weekly on my HOB's.
Do you clean so often because of drop in flow rate, or simply routine?

12 Volt Man;3585295; said:
I'm not so sure that is not a big drop. the pump output for that filter is 900 gallons per hour.
^ what jgray said.
Plus: We do not have day zero data. There is a minimal drop between the two data points we have, which is 4 months and one year.
I'd love to have day zero data ... but that involves cleaning the filter ;)

12 Volt Man;3585713; said:
its probably no different than other canisters.
Sure. Do you know of any other data where we can compare 1-year service intervals? Please share.

HarleyK

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
Sure. Do you know of any other data where we can compare 1-year service intervals? Please share
no. but we don't need it. reread my post.

a more powerful pump + lots of extra media = a longer time between services can be done because the flow does not drop as much - because of the powerful pump forcing water through and the fact that more media takes longer to clog to the point of constriction than less media given the same bioload of detritus being captured.

the 2262 is a giant filter.

smaller filters will not be able to go as long but that is normal. they hold far less media and are not nearly as powerful.

there is nothing unique about the 2262 that allows this to happen.

its just the nature of its large and powerful design. there is no magic here, despite the hefty price tag it carries :)

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Dont the tank conditions matter more in this study than anything? If your running the filter on a dirtier tank with a heavy bioload, you're obviously going to have a greater loss in output, but if your running the filter on a tank that has no inhabitants, then there is going to be little to no dropoff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store