Flow Rate Eheim 2262 after 1 year w/o opening canister

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
BTW, here's what's in the tank... they eat a lot and poop a lot...

Germany June 2011 171.jpg

Germany June 2011 171.jpg

Reactions: snake_charmer

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Nice update on your filter and thanks for sharing pics!!!

My big Eheims pretty much look the same except for the shrimp and crab. I usually find fish fry & juvies in mine. I am surprised how large the crab is though.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Just as I thought not too bad...thanks so much for the pics!!! I think you would have more clogging from the life in that filter rather than fish sludge...it was pretty cool to see all that living in there lol.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I'm not so sure that is not a big drop.

the pump output for that filter is 900 gallons per hour.

now, we don't know under what conditions this is - it is probably just the pump, not hooked up to a filter, on a tank etc.

so, assuming 900gph under ideal conditions, setting it up on a tank with clean media you still probably have something like 700 gph new..

so a drop like that could mean 50% which is understandable after a year. but I wouldn't say the drop is minimal.

I found that with the eheim wetdry that I used to use, the flow rate would drop off noticably after a few months.

and not surprisingly, the media was quite dirty when I serviced it.
I agree. My 2250 puts 280gph into the tank and that is through the media. I wonder if you are performing this test right. One thing to be careful of when letting a canister filter go so long between service is a thing called short-circuiting. No an electrical thing, its a "path of least resistance thing. It is possible to move water by the media in a canister when the media gets clogged. The water just "goes around" the obstructed media. The media is by no means sealed in its own chambers so essentially you are getting blow by. Again, however, you should be getting way more than you are from a 2260.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store