FLOWER RAY KEEPERS----Flower ray issues (recently)

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Maybe I missed it, do you run your drip water through carbon filters or is it well water? If carbon, did you let it go longer than normal...or possibly bad batch of filters?? Flowers are so doggone sensitive!
Most drip systems have 3 chambers if not add a 3rd or fourth and put a back up carbon block in just incase . I use a 3 chamber drip with 2 carbon blocks that runs all my tanks but it's spliced into a 4 th steperate chamber with a 3rd carbon block just for my flowers tank. Also use a ro with 2 carbon blocks for that tank. Just add back ups the second one will last a year because it will never see chlorine .

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
And carbon blocks and ro mbraines will remove all of anything if infact something is coming through.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
I just talked to my buddy that lost a batch of leo pups. He also has well water.

He had someone come out and test the water. He had very high iron. He said something about changing his iron filter

Hope this helps
I know here in Indiana, the well water is full of iron. Not sure of long term affects on rays. When I came back to indiana about 2 1/2 yrs ago, I decided to try rays again (had a couple years proir sold em when we moved) anyway we lived in the country at the time. I set up my 125g and purchased a couple of Retic pups. The water was so hard that the tub, sink ect. were bright orange. I did add a cheap sediment filter (dont think it did much good) the pups did fine. Lived there for about six months. Retics are sensitive, but not sure they compare to Flowers.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Retics when you buy them as teacups are almost impossible to keep alive ..I've killed every teacup I've bought

exoticfishguy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
somewhere
I installed a Pelican whole house water filtration system in my new house so there would be no questions about water quality for me or my pets.

It was a little pricey but better to be safe than sorry!

exoticfishguy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
somewhere
does it add anything to water or just filter it?
The Pelican is just a really big multistage filter with capacity for an entire house...it adds nothing to the water, just takes all impurities out.

I use one with a salt free water softener.

It's supposed to be one of the better water filters for home use.

Check it out: www.pelicanwater.com

My water is so soft that I need to keep bags of crushed coral in my sump.

My two are doing great and are more aggressive than the others.

Something like this system may be worth looking into, especially since exotic fish are so expensive these days.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
The Pelican is just a really big multistage filter with capacity for an entire house...it adds nothing to the water, just takes all impurities out.

I use one with a salt free water softener.

It's supposed to be one of the better water filters for home use.

Check it out: www.pelicanwater.com

My water is so soft that I need to keep bags of crushed coral in my sump.

My two are doing great and are more aggressive than the others.

Something like this system may be worth looking into, especially since exotic fish are so expensive these days.

thanks, i did not realize there were this type of filter systems.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
thanks, i did not realize there were this type of filter systems.
Me either! This could be what we're all looking for!!!

So what exactly is this thing? Sounds like a bigger version of what we run for drip systems with the carbon and sediment filters. The salt free water softener sure sounds intresting though. If I could spend $1300 on this softener and elimante the need to run RO I'm all in.

I've asked for years if there's a filtration system that can remove more then our drips and less then RO. Seems rediculous to run RO, strip out everything, then use waste water or tap water to put the crap you filtered out right back in again.

I really believe there's more negative effects associated with hard water then any of us are willing to realize. Sure our rays will live in it, just like some of us could live off unemployment, but would be a hell of a lot better off in an ideal enviroment.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
I agree 110% about hard water also.

My skin cannot handle the water here some times I can only emagine what a rays is like.evolved to tolerate very soft acidic water ,then we through them into liquid rock.

Db ro is not bad if used correct. My Tds in tap is 260-300 after the ro it's 2.the waste water from the ro is around 350 I would never drip that back into the tank. If I just drip tap my tanks Tds will stay around 250-300.
With the introduction to ro in my tanks I've got the Tds down to around 110! I don't know how you can think that's absurd or rediculas .i drip about 35-40% Tap just so I do not have to worry about unstable water cause I seriously put about 3 minutes a week into my tanks mantainence .ro is not really that expensive stuff is real cheap on eBay from USA .you can also use the waste water from your ro for something like a African cichlid tank (mine love the hard water) also to water your lawn ,setup a simple pump and float system that once everyday or so your lawn automatically gets watered. You can also use the tanks waste water that contains nitrates (free fertilizer)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store