Flowerhorn 90 gallon, water change, food schedule

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
I have a solo Flowerhorn in my 90 gallon, may be moving him to a 75 gallon because the 90 is scratched, he is about 6 inches and I have been changing 50 percent water every week and water is perfect. 2 Ac110 for filtration

some people say I am changing water too much because the fish is small and it has strong filtration, and this could harm the fish from stress

also any tips to maximize growth?
currently feeding 2 large pellets daily that my loca lfs sell for Flowerhorn growth, he takes like 30 seconds max eating one, temperature is 83 degrees

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I don't think two ac 110 would be too much flow in 90 or 75 gallon tank. If you don't see any stress in fish then don't worry, you routine and fish are similar to mine. I have one tidal 110 and fx4.

Feed quality food from brand like northfin or NLS.

Your current pellets seem too big, fish should not have to chew pellets, it loose water soluble nutrients while doing that.

I keep my fish at 80, I am letting him grow at his own pace, higher temperature can accelerate growth but also aging.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Ideal sized tank, 75 gal would be fine though. Great filtration though you could use smaller pellets to aid in his eating habits and digestion, but not a big factor. Your water change schedule is more than ideal if you have the time and resources, though unnecessary. But you love your fish and your all in. He’s a lucky flowerhorn. ?

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
Ok thanks guys I will keep the filters and use a pill splitter to cut his pellets. Then change water 40 percent y to see if I have equally good results and save some time

thank you everyone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store