Flowerhorn acting very strange

Sunscream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Pittsburgh
What are your water parameters? Have there been any lights flashing as of late or power outages? Is anyone moving quickly near the tank? Any other pets that might be agitating your Flowerhorn? Have they been bolder up until recently? It could be a flight or fight response. Beautiful Flowerhorn by the way!!
No , none of that. I have a cat but he doesn't seem interested in any of my fishtanks anymore. The water parameters are good. 0 nitrite 0 ammonia, 20 or less nitrates, and the pH is at 7.0

Reactions: lp85253

Sunscream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Pittsburgh
Ive heard folks down at the local lfs put mirrors outside the aquariums of their FHs to bring out confidence and what not, just keep an eye so that your FH isn’t damaging itself or overly stressing.
That's a fantastic idea. I'll try that. I've also seen people put mirrors inside the tank.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
He's got a big cave too. There's not a lot of traffic down there and he's in the tank by himself. I'm not sure why he would hide? All of my other cichlids are very outgoing and want my attention anytime I'm around or want food. But this one is very skittish for some reason. This tank has been set up for about 6 months there are zero nitrites, zero ammonia, and the nitrates are 20 or under. The water is hard and the pH is at 7.0
I know I had a similar problem with my FH (Star). She would always run and hide from me when I went to feed her. So I started to spend some time infront of her tank so she would get used to me being there. It took a few week but eventually she did get used to me coming in and whatching her swim around and she eventually got to the point where she would willingly be right infront of the tank dancing around all excited that I was there.

Sunscream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Pittsburgh
I know I had a similar problem with my FH (Star). She would always run and hide from me when I went to feed her. So I started to spend some time infront of her tank so she would get used to me being there. It took a few week but eventually she did get used to me coming in and whatching her swim around and she eventually got to the point where she would willingly be right infront of the tank dancing around all excited that I was there.
Yeah that's what mine does! But the weird thing is, I've had him since he was just a tiny grey baby so it was worrying when he started acting like this. I'm gonna get him a mirror and try to spend more time with him.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah that's what mine does! But the weird thing is, I've had him since he was just a tiny grey baby so it was worrying when he started acting like this. I'm gonna get him a mirror and try to spend more time with him.
Mine ways the same exact way. Mine was bred from the parents I had so I had her since she was an egg. She only started running away after she grew to around 3.5-4in. granted this was also the time where I started to use a mirror to help bring out her colors a bit more so that could've definitely played a part in her becoming more friendly and outgoing.

Reactions: Sunscream
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store