Flowerhorn and unexpected oscar tank mate

Drgnball

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2022
So I had to recently moved my aggressive Oscar into my flowerhorn only tank with a divider as he kept bullying my redhead vieja. Came back from lunch and the divider came apart and both seem to be fine with each other. FH swims freely in the 4ft even going right by the Oscar with no fuss. FH is 5 months old at 5.5" and Oscar is just over 1 and 10".

I was dead set in keeping the FH as a solo fish in my bare tank doing 50% weekly water changes, daily grooming and controlled feeding on ocean free pellets all to maximise his grow and Colours. If I were to maintain this strict schedule then there's no reason why he wouldn't grow to his maximum potential? Only thing I see as a problem is the stress?

C2E461FC-709F-44D8-8B7A-56B5E06247BC.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
In a 4 foot tank water quality issues will likely come pretty quick - especially considering how messy Oscars are.
That said - it can work for the short term. Assuming you can manage water, eventually the flowerhorn will turn on the Oscar.

Drgnball

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2022
In a 4 foot tank water quality issues will likely come pretty quick - especially considering how messy Oscars are.
That said - it can work for the short term. Assuming you can manage water, eventually the flowerhorn will turn on the Oscar.
What is the acceptable nitrate levels for max potential? I will test mid week and if over threshold will do another water change. I just did 60% wc Sunday just pasted. The tank is bare and so much easier and more efficient at cleaning. Literally syphon every bit of ****

At what age does that switch flick onto kill mode??

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Honestly it can be a hit or miss some fh tend to be more calm than others. Fh will be a lot more aggressive than an Oscar so maybe just keep close eye on them. Once the FH sees the Oscar is easy target he won’t leave him be until he’s in a corner. And that can be at this size already.

Reactions: tlindsey

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
No offense, but IMO it's like you're waiting for something to happen. Bare bottom won't save the high nitrate load those two till pump out either, and tank is too small for territory. Both are nice fish...why wait for a problem you don't need to correct?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What is the acceptable nitrate levels for max potential? I will test mid week and if over threshold will do another water change. I just did 60% wc Sunday just pasted. The tank is bare and so much easier and more efficient at cleaning. Literally syphon every bit of ****

At what age does that switch flick onto kill mode??
No higher than 20 ppm is the generally accepted level - the closer to 0 the better though.
No real way to tell for sure when a cichlid will snap, but it’s not worth waiting for it.

Reactions: Sinister-Kisses

Drgnball

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2022
No offense, but IMO it's like you're waiting for something to happen. Bare bottom won't save the high nitrate load those two till pump out either, and tank is too small for territory. Both are nice fish...why wait for a problem you don't need to correct?
I have put back the divider to seperate them as a precaution. Was the original plan but would of been nice to see two fish coexist together. Was a temporary plan until I rehome the Oscar and it's always sad to see. Obviously bare bottom makes no difference to nitrate production but if can certainly help reduce the levels in between WC's.

Reactions: Deadeye and FINWIN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store