Flowerhorn breeding?

Anupama2399

Feeder Fish
Mar 30, 2021
Hi there!

I am planning on starting to breed some Flowerhorns.
I currently have a young male SRD, he is around 4.5 to 5 inches long.

I need some help/advice as to what is needed for the entire process.

Also, I want to know what kind of FH I should select as the female.
A few possible options are
1) Kamfa
2) GB x Kamfa
3) SRD

Also, after I get a female around the same size, is it possible for me to put them both into a 4x2x2 tank with a divider at this young age?
Or should I just hold onto my male for sometime and buy a suitable sized female in the future?

Any thoughts on this are highly appreciated.
Thanks very much :)
Anupama

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane
I’d recommend having multiple females so the male can choose, forced pairs don’t always end well.
Divider can work, all depends on how mean your male is.
As for selection, I would pick what breed you personally like best and think would make the best mix, everyone will have different opinions.

Anupama2399

Feeder Fish
Mar 30, 2021
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane

Thanks so much for your opinion!
In my country, we do not have a lot of good quality FH's. Plus, the average price of a SRD FH here is $10 - $15.
A good SRD would be around $40 to $50 for about 6 to 7 inches in size.

I would also like to know about water conditions, tank space, filtration etc, if you could help me with that as well please.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Deadeye

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
A friend had an Srd Fh pair in a 65g and they bred several times the male was about 12" and the female was 8" I believe it's the heavy water changes he did that impacted their size(He raised up about 75 fry in total).He had give them their own 65gs later on because they wouldn't stop breeding lol. edit : the dimensions of the 65g - 48x 18 x 18.He also ran a 30g sump.If I may ask - where are you based?

Anupama2399

Feeder Fish
Mar 30, 2021
A friend had an Srd Fh pair in a 65g and they bred several times the male was about 12" and the female was 8" I believe it's the heavy water changes he did that impacted their size(He raised up about 75 fry in total).He had give them their own 65gs later on because they wouldn't stop breeding lol.

So the breeding pair were together even before they bred? And were together after as well?

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Yes the fry remained with the parents until they were fingerlings ,they started to pick at their parents' slime coat so they had to be removed.He used the culls as feeders for his other fish.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane
I’d recommend having multiple females so the male can choose, forced pairs don’t always end well.
Divider can work, all depends on how mean your male is.
As for selection, I would pick what breed you personally like best and think would make the best mix, everyone will have different opinions.
+1. Only thing I would add is that if ya breed it with a Kamfa you'll end up with either Magma's or Kamfamalau's depended ing what side their genetics favor. Personally I would try to find a few nice Red Dragon females myself, but that would only be to keep the line pure.

Just be warned tho that if the female has nowhere to hide from the male that he could very easily kill her just because. I personally don't use dividers for breeding just due to the fact that if it gets dislodged when I'm not there then I could very easily have a dead fish to come home to. I tend to use caves or pots just big enough for the female to fit but too small for the male. This allows her a place of sanctuary from her abusive husband lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store