Flowerhorn Color is gone

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Why did my flowerhorn turn like this? At first i thought it was hexa so i immediately treated his food and even did the syringe method. His poop was white only one time. After that it’s been brown ever since for some reason. He eats but he’s picky with eating only the carnivore sticks and raw shrimp. Any ideas ? Been like this for 4-5 days. Parameters are perfect. He’s in a tank with blood parrots and he’s the bossEECAAC20-00C2-4E5C-8062-807B7F13C38D.jpeg

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Also how long ago was the first pic. He looks slightly bloated probably from overfeeding. His diet seems to be too high protein and you should easily be able to get him too a better diet after fasting for a few days. shrimp can be fed as a treat. though sparingly no more than 1 max 2 times a week. I recommend switching the staple pellet to a standard hikari cichlid pellet or other brands such as northfin, omega one, or New Life Spectrum. Other than that your fish is fine. The coloration fading is completely unrelated to health so other than too high protein diet and a little overfeeding he looks fine.

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Also how long ago was the first pic. He looks slightly bloated probably from overfeeding. His diet seems to be too high protein and you should easily be able to get him too a better diet after fasting for a few days. shrimp can be fed as a treat. though sparingly no more than 1 max 2 times a week. I recommend switching the staple pellet to a standard hikari cichlid pellet or other brands such as northfin, omega one, or New Life Spectrum. Other than that your fish is fine. The coloration fading is completely unrelated to health so other than too high protein diet and a little overfeeding he looks fine.
Thanks. Water parameters are 0,0,15 and it’s a 75 gallon. It gradually happened in 4 days. Got paler and paler

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
What color should i expect him to be? Pretty exciting all though i did like his old coloring very much.

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Why did my flowerhorn turn like this? At first i thought it was hexa so i immediately treated his food and even did the syringe method. His poop was white only one time. After that it’s been brown ever since for some reason. He eats but he’s picky with eating only the carnivore sticks and raw shrimp. Any ideas ? Been like this for 4-5 days. Parameters are perfect. He’s in a tank with blood parrots and he’s the bossView attachment 1448764
21FF8605-2F57-4A30-8581-1292632C8673.jpegCEC15341-F9E2-4158-93AF-C9E464CFC53E.jpegFirst pic was when i noticed around 4 days ago. Second was 30 hours ago. And today is the one i sent

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
View attachment 1448801View attachment 1448802First pic was when i noticed around 4 days ago. Second was 30 hours ago. And today is the one i sent
Yeah your guy just seems like a lil bit of a late bloomer. Most FH's tend to fade once they reach around 1-2in but some can wait till much much later to fade, even seen some that waited till they were fully grown before they started to fade.

As for color it's anybody's guess with a fader. Granted with how yours is going I would say it may turn out almost completely pink like my female red dragon. Also he has just started to fade from the looks of it so he may take a bit of time to fully color up again. This is my fader female btw, yours may end up somewhat like mine did.

cameringo_20200730_215113.jpg

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Yeah your guy just seems like a lil bit of a late bloomer. Most FH's tend to fade once they reach around 1-2in but some can wait till much much later to fade, even seen some that waited till they were fully grown before they started to fade.

As for color it's anybody's guess with a fader. Granted with how yours is going I would say it may turn out almost completely pink like my female red dragon. Also he has just started to fade from the looks of it so he may take a bit of time to fully color up again. This is my fader female btw, yours may end up somewhat like mine did.

View attachment 1448843
This. You'll just have to see and find out.

Reactions: Bbuckley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store