Flowerhorn diseased.. please help.. URGENT

shunaiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
India
My flowerhorn had hexamite a few days back.. it had small hole in the head which had whitish mucus on it and the fish was lethargic and had lost diet..
After i treated it with some epsom salt and metroplex it has recovered and is now active and excreting properly.. but the holes seem to become bigger and are spreading.
The fish is active now.. please guys help me how to treat the hole that has occured..
I DONT THINK IT HAS MUCH TIME LEFT
PS: I LOVE MY FLOWRRHORN

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
If it's eating again I would continue to soak the food in epsom salts or metroplex to try and stop it. That and you should keep the water as clean as possible. Keep the nitrates under like 20 ppm. What is your tank size and water parameters?

Flowerhorns are susceptible to getting it.

shunaiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
India
Tank size is 4 ft 2ft 2ft
110g
Water quality is currently under cntrol and i am feeding it well with soaked epsom..
But the hole has mucus on it.. how do i treat that??

Reactions: GamerChick5567

shunaiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
India
If it's eating again I would continue to soak the food in epsom salts or metroplex to try and stop it. That and you should keep the water as clean as possible. Keep the nitrates under like 20 ppm. What is your tank size and water parameters?

Flowerhorns are susceptible to getting it.
It isb4*2*2 110g tank.. water quality is in cntrol now.. the fish is eating food with soaked epsom..
But how shud i cure the mucus on the holes.. i fear it will spread all over the hump

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
It should probably clear up on its own as he heals from the hex, the rest of his hump should be ok if his immune system and slime coat is working right. I think I saw your post on the main hex thread and I agree that he may get a few scars. It won't ever be as ugly as my male convict's ugly battle scarred face though so don't worry haha.

You can try adding a very small bit of plain non iodized kosher salt or aquarium branded salt (freshwater only, not marine). The dosage should be about 1 tbsp per 5 gallons. So for your tank it would be like 22 tbsp or about 1 cup of salt for the whole tank. You could probably even just do a half dose of that if it's the only physical injury. You will have to replace the salt concentration when you do water changes. Also, remember that salt can't evaporate and can only be removed with water changes. You can match the concentration of salt with each water change by just adding the amount of salt for the amount of change water and not the main tank. Also remember to dissolve it beforehand in a small container of tank water before you add it. and raise the dose slowly over a few hours to avoid stressing him. LOL.

I use salt all the time for fin tears and small fight wounds and I've never had issues. It does something to make the slime coat react more and is safer than harsh meds. It can also help cure ich if he ever gets that. Hope that helps.

Reactions: shunaiz

shunaiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
India
so u think that the holes will get well by itself??
I was thinking of wiping them with a swab and applying some antifungal medic on it..
what do u suggest??

shunaiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2017
India
By god's grace it is now eating the normal quantity of pellets it used to eat.. I fead by soaing them in some metronizole.. and everyday I change 50% water and add 8-10 tbs of Epsom to the water..
it is 10 tyms more active than what it was 2-3 days back..
the lethargy is gone, its diet has totally come back, but the holes are also increasing..
plz help me about this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store