Flowerhorn fin trim

Ash_water

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2018
Colombo Sri Lanka
instagram.com
I am not planning to do this neither I find the outcome appealing, I like long fins.

Before today I thought few kamfas (mostly priced above $300) didn't have long tips on dorsal and anal fin. I found them not ao appealing when I was looking for fish.

What's your say on this? Also curious if it's actually painless for fish when they do it?

One guy on Facebook asked me if I am planning to trim my fish's fins. Then I looked it up and found few YouTube videos of people doing it.
Don't do it. Let the fish's own bloodline shine. Do not physically alter the fish. I don't think that the fish feels any pain from doing so. But I wouldn't. I personally prefer long pointy tails. They look cool.

Reactions: Ozzie73

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Don't do it. Let the fish's own bloodline shine. Do not physically alter the fish. I don't think that the fish feels any pain from doing so. But I wouldn't. I personally prefer long pointy tails. They look cool.
First line was this
I am not planning to do this neither I find the outcome appealing, I like long fins.

Ombon_flowerhorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2020
It's just personal preference. I happen to think fins that are more straight and point almost down toward the tail look much better imo. I do not know if the fish feel pain or not as I've heard arguments on both sides. What is true is that it is completely harmless to the fish. I did it with one of my FH and it was easy and honestly fairly stress free for the fish. I do find it amusing when people think fin trimming is traumatic and abuse though lol.View attachment 1401078
Hi, have you done tail splitting also? Is it really make the tail looks bigger? TQ

rosslee

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
It's just personal preference. I happen to think fins that are more straight and point almost down toward the tail look much better imo. I do not know if the fish feel pain or not as I've heard arguments on both sides. What is true is that it is completely harmless to the fish. I did it with one of my FH and it was easy and honestly fairly stress free for the fish. I do find it amusing when people think fin trimming is traumatic and abuse though lol.View attachment 1401078
Stunning fish you have there.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
To me it's similar to docking tails on dogs. Doesn't harm the animal in the long run but the process itself I'm sure is not fun for the fish, and poses some unneccessary risks. since it's purely cosmetic for the owner's benefit, not the kind of thing I would personally do.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
To me it's similar to docking tails on dogs. Doesn't harm the animal in the long run but the process itself I'm sure is not fun for the fish, and poses some unneccessary risks. since it's purely cosmetic for the owner's benefit, not the kind of thing I would personally do.
I so think too.

It's just subjective wrapper one or trailing ones look better. I really like trailing ones, if someone wants wrapped fins then they should buy fish with one.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store