Flowerhorn ID Help

odsrandy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
Buena Park, CA
Hello!!

I was at my LFS about 3 weeks ago and saw a small flowerhorn (labeled as such) in a tank 15 Red Devils. Needless to say, this little guy (or girl) was torn apart. Missing parts of every fin, colors completely washed out, body damage, the whole nine yards.

I had an available 40g so I decided to see what I can do to if anything. I didn't feel right just leaving him (or her) there to die so I brought it home. LFS owner was shocked and said $5 and it's mine.

Fast forward to now, the fish seems to be doing much better. Eating, interacting, aggressive but not overly. Named him/her Rocky, took a beating but is now seeming to come out on top.

Anyways, I'm not well versed in Flowerhorn types and was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of flowerhorn Rocky is. Tried looking up pics but only thing I could find similar is a ZZ?

Anyways, thanks for your help as always!

20191114_180826.jpg

20191114_180939.jpg

20191114_181032.jpg

20191114_181136.jpg

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
As you say he's not going to win any beauty pageants but he'll make up for it in character (and imho even a lower grade Flowerhorn can still be more beautiful than a lot of other fish out there). And kudos to you for taking him home despite being all beat up -- he's healing up nicely and I'm sure he'll appreciate his new home. Plenty of threads and members to offer advice/tips if you need, keep us updated on how he comes along.

Yup. He’ll probably live longer and have less health problems than the AAA+ grade flowerhorns.
Ha ha good point, I wouldn't doubt it either.

Reactions: odsrandy

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Don't look too bad. Its a red dragon zz for sure. But looks like it might be a female judging from the vent of that last picture and the black mark on the dorsal fin. But she sure has a decent head coming out for a female. I assume it's a female but I'll let more experience people chime in to see if I'm right or not.

Reactions: odsrandy

odsrandy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
Buena Park, CA
Don't look too bad. Its a red dragon zz for sure. But looks like it might be a female judging from the vent of that last picture and the black mark on the dorsal fin. But she sure has a decent head coming out for a female. I assume it's a female but I'll let more experience people chime in to see if I'm right or not.
Right?? I thought the same when I saw the vent. Couldn't tell if I saw black in the dorsal fin or not so I figured I'd wait til he/she got bigger to confirm. But the head! That wasn't there until Rocky started healing up. Once the color and interaction started coming back it just started growing. We shall see!

Reactions: maxstillen
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store