Feb 11, 2021
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
30ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey thanks for taking time to read this and i appreciate any advice given. I have a 125gal cichlid tank with various south american cichlids. My main fish is my 5 inch flowerhorn. Well ive noticed in the last few weeks since i upgraded tanks about 6 weeks ago. That her aggressive behaviour slowed. I thought that was due to the larger space. But now for about 5days ive noticed her being really picky about food. She has gotten to where shes barely coming to check out what im feeding. I noticed some white colored poo today. I have another hybrid cichlid thats also poopping white and now not eating at all. I feed live goldfish chopped up. Also a mealworm here and there. Also some color enhancing bug bites food. I havent done any treatments. There is a small amount of salt in the water and i keep the temp up to about 84degrees all the time.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d suggest reduce ur temps to 78-80. Feed some hex shield and avoid anymore chopped up live goldfish. May have to mix with garlic to entice an appetite. Keep nitrates below 20ppm.

Chicohombre39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2021
I’d suggest reduce ur temps to 78-80. Feed some hex shield and avoid anymore chopped up live goldfish. May have to mix with garlic to entice an appetite. Keep nitrates below 20ppm.
I really appreciate the advice. However my flowerhorn will not eat anything medicated that ive tried. I reduced temp, got my nitrates way down after a couple good water changes. Water quality is great everyone ate the hex but her. And all poo is brown except hers. I have some general cure packets that were recommended by a few different groups. However id like to know can she be dipped? I know a good salt and ich treatment dip saved her from near death before. Will this also work with internal parasites? If so how concentrated? Sorry for so many questions. Really appreciate advice and tips.

16140484973205628109241662690112.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can try a metronidazole dip. 10mg per liter. That’ll work better. It’s better eaten but do what you can. This will work better for internal parasites. The salt and ich trestment won’t help.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Your FH has trained you well.
Yeah I'd agree. If OP wants to get her to eat something else they will have to fast her for a while till she is hungry enough to try other foods. This process can be as quick as a couple of days or it could even drag out for a couple of weeks before she'll be willing to try something different. Granted most predator fish can go upto a month without eating and still be fine afterwards, so it's not like fasting her for a couple of weeks would really affect her that much if at all.

It'll be hard to break her from live food at the start but once she's on a nice healthy pellet diet then she should have far less issues.

Chicohombre39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2021
Well im getting some good results with api general cure. All my cichlids are pooping brown and appetites are once again voracious. Thanks for all your advice guys i really appreciate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store