Flowerhorn not eating

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
My flowerhorn hasn't been eating or pooping. His eyes also look kind of foggy. I haven't noticed any white or stringy poop, but his vent has become blocked with poop in the past. I don't see any kind of blockage now, but I don't know what the problem is. Any ideas?

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
How old is he? Flowerhorn due to massive inbreeding are very susceptible to digestive and health problems down the line. Some that are very hard, if not impossible to diagnose and cure. It may just be he is getting old and his health is declining. May just be his time. Water is the first thing I’d check. If you haven’t been keeping up with water changes there in may be your solution or answer to your problem.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Correct me if I'm wrong CarpCharacin CarpCharacin but I think your FH is about 2.5-3 yr. old, right? And it's a short body, which if anything could be linked to the digestive issues he's had pretty much since you got him. Whether or not this is related to his current condition I'm not sure, but as normal course let's first try to rule out water parameters and temperature as factors.

Loveday

Feeder Fish
Nov 18, 2019
Based on the research I've done. Short bodies normally last anywhere from 3 to 6 years of age. I try to stay clear of them. I've had one Shorty in the past but eventually traded him for a powder brown tang.
Could be just be getting old.
Have you tried massaging his belly?
Epsom salt dip?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store