Flowerhorn & Potted Terracotta

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Hello, I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences good or bad using terracotta pots in bare bottom/tiled tanks with flowerhorn as the lone fish in the tank.

I'm familiar with the idea of larger cichlids digging out plants more often than not but haven't ever heard much in regards to filling pots with soil in bare bottom/tiled tanks like mine. My FH is around 7" now in a tiled tank and in the short term wondered if he might just eat the plant up and in the long term if the pot might regularly be knocked around or tipped over.

I have everything I would need already so I'll be giving it a shot regardless and will report back over time with the results but if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hello, I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences good or bad using terracotta pots in bare bottom/tiled tanks with flowerhorn as the lone fish in the tank.

I'm familiar with the idea of larger cichlids digging out plants more often than not but haven't ever heard much in regards to filling pots with soil in bare bottom/tiled tanks like mine. My FH is around 7" now in a tiled tank and in the short term wondered if he might just eat the plant up and in the long term if the pot might regularly be knocked around or tipped over.

I have everything I would need already so I'll be giving it a shot regardless and will report back over time with the results but if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I've had mixed results with Flowerhorn and plants before; some leave them alone, some tear them up or constantly try to move them around. So if you do put in any kind of terracotta pot or similar just make sure it's stable and can't be easily tipped. On a related point I personally don't like using terracotta because it's easier for FH to get scrapes on compared to say smoother glazed ceramic.

Reactions: Gage Zamrzla

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Order some wide pvc pipe on EBAY and paint it with black plasti dip. Smooth, gives your "horn" a getaway spot and won't cause injuries. You can even frame it with loose stones on the bottom. I got custom cut pvc for a large BP and my syno catfish. Go to the bottom of pages 58 and 59.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store