Flowerhorn problem.

Bubba Rwanda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Help. My Flowerhorn was lying on it's side curled up a few days ago. After two days like this he straightened up. Now he seems weak, but can swim and even tries fighting his reflection in the Glass. He doesn't seem to have interest in any food though. Haven't seen him eat since last week. Is there any hope? :confused:

pilau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2007
Sliding
Bubba Rwanda;1478991; said:
Help. My Flowerhorn was lying on it's side curled up a few days ago. After two days like this he straightened up. Now he seems weak, but can swim and even tries fighting his reflection in the Glass. He doesn't seem to have interest in any food though. Haven't seen him eat since last week. Is there any hope? :confused:
One of mine seems to be doing the same thing. I came on here to post bout it but saw your post. C'mon people....Help. Mine got strong stress bars too. Did yours? He swims erratically. Me and Bubba need help....

>:(

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
How's water quality? I don't know a ton about flowerhorns, but I'd check to make sure he wasn't getting picked on and that the water was ok. What size is the tank? Are these new fish? Sometimes they will take a while to get used to new tanks. Could they be shy? Do they have hiding places? More information may be helpful. There are people who know way more than I do, but I bet they'd like a little more to go off too.

Bubba Rwanda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
The color seems fine on mine. It seems to be acting normal too so far. Just not eating. I've had mine for about two years or so. It was about two inches when I got it, and it's about 7 inches now. It's alone in a bare bottom 75 Gallon with an Eheim 2215 and two Power filters. I do weekly water changes of around 30% as well.

Yes, it does seem shy. I was dropping food in and leaving. The next day or whatever, I'd go back and siphon un eaten food and poop. This was probably not good for the water conditions, but my tanks are in a dark basement, and some of the Fish get shy. I also have a 12 or so year old Red Hook Silver Dollar, and an Auratus that seem to only eat with their tank light off. I'm not going to feed them with the light out and leave anymore. I hope they get hungry enough to eat in front of me with the lights on? I only hope it's not too late for the Flowerhorn.

pilau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2007
Sliding
>:(;1483292; said:
How's water quality? I don't know a ton about flowerhorns, but I'd check to make sure he wasn't getting picked on and that the water was ok. What size is the tank? Are these new fish? Sometimes they will take a while to get used to new tanks. Could they be shy? Do they have hiding places? More information may be helpful. There are people who know way more than I do, but I bet they'd like a little more to go off too.
Well I am not tryin to take over Bubbas thread but I seem to have the same type of behavior going on right now and I think we can both possibly benefit from this.

Mine is in a 55 gallon with no tankmates. He is about 9-10" now and has not been eating much. The water had been getting cold at night so I added a heater to the tank. That is when he got stress bars and started laying on his side and swimming strange and attacking his reflection. He swims backwards even. I tested the water quality and found the Ammonia is a bit high so I added ammonia killer stuff. PH is at 7.5 and all other parameters seem fine. I added some water conditioner too, just in case it was a chlorine thing. I don't think that is it but I want to be sure. I also added stress zyme. I thought after I put in the heater that maybe he wasn't getting enough oxygen so I added a airstone. He doesn't look good at all.

Hopefully Bubba will chime in with more info on his.

pilau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2007
Sliding
Bubba Rwanda;1483386; said:
The color seems fine on mine. It seems to be acting normal too so far. Just not eating. I've had mine for about two years or so. It was about two inches when I got it, and it's about 7 inches now. It's alone in a bare bottom 75 Gallon with an Eheim 2215 and two Power filters. I do weekly water changes of around 30% as well.

Yes, it does seem shy. I was dropping food in and leaving. The next day or whatever, I'd go back and siphon un eaten food and poop. This was probably not good for the water conditions, but my tanks are in a dark basement, and some of the Fish get shy. I also have a 12 or so year old Red Hook Silver Dollar, and an Auratus that seem to only eat with their tank light off. I'm not going to feed them with the light out and leave anymore. I hope they get hungry enough to eat in front of me with the lights on? I only hope it's not too late for the Flowerhorn.
I wonder if this is a flowerhorn type of behavior as I have not seen it in any of my other fish. Also if you would like me to make my own thread about mine I will gadly delete my post. Just let me know.;)

>:(

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Bubba Rwanda;1483386; said:

Ok... I'll tackle this. I'm sure someone will correct me if I give any faulty advice.

So lack of appetite is your only worry? Leaving food overnight isn't great, but you could be doing worse I guess. As long as you know you should be cleaning it up. The tank is bare bottom, but is there any decor? If not, try adding something with smooth edges that he could use to hide. It will make him feel more secure. Do you have a test kit? If so, I'd test the water, if not, I'd get one, then test the water. If you see any problems, I'd do a water change right away.

Also, I may be wrong on this, but as fish get older and bigger, they need to eat less often. Maybe he's just getting to this point. How long has he gone without eating? I wouldn't worry too badly if it was just a day or two.

pilau;1483411; said:
Well I am not tryin to take over Bubbas thread but I seem to have the same type of behavior going on right now and I think we can both possibly benefit from this.

Mine is in a 55 gallon with no tankmates. He is about 9-10" now and has not been eating much. The water had been getting cold at night so I added a heater to the tank. That is when he got stress bars and started laying on his side and swimming strange and attacking his reflection. He swims backwards even. I tested the water quality and found the Ammonia is a bit high so I added ammonia killer stuff. PH is at 7.5 and all other parameters seem fine. I added some water conditioner too, just in case it was a chlorine thing. I don't think that is it but I want to be sure. I also added stress zyme. I thought after I put in the heater that maybe he wasn't getting enough oxygen so I added a airstone. He doesn't look good at all.

Hopefully Bubba will chime in with more info on his.
The sudden change in temp may be part of it. He needs the heater, ideally you want to try bringing it up a degree or two everyday until he's at the right temp. Also, and you've probably heard this, but I wouldn't use any chemicals to get rid of the ammonia. Do water changes. Watch him and keep tabs on the levels daily and change as frequently as you can. Treat it as if you were cycling, just look for the stickies (in general aquaria, I think). Airstone is good. You might add a little salt. There's stickies about that too.

You said yours swims erratically? Is it his swim bladder? Can he keep his balance? Or is he just freaking out? You can try feeding him a shelled pea, blanched with garlic. Then, don't feed him for a few days and look for improvement.

fishnut

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
pa
if the fish is swimming erratically, then do not feed it, but make sure that no other fish is picking on her/him and make sure the water is very clean. What does the fish look like? black with stress bar and... ?

Bubba Rwanda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Pilau, I don't mind you posting here. Might have helped both of us. I think I might have figured mine out. Mine seems to like Cichlid Staple pellets lately. From what I found doing research on Swim Bladder problems, Food that swells up when saturated can cause Swim Bladder problems if you feed the fish too many while the food is still dry. I noticed an uneaten Cichlid Staple was on the bottom of the tank swelled up about 4x the dry size. My Flowerhorn might have been eating too many of them while they were dry, and they swelled up in his stomach causing swim bladder issues.
Melissa at ThatPetPlace.com said she always recommends that people pre soak pellets so you can see how much they're actually eating. Right now, my Flowerhorn is back to eating, and all seems well again. I'm only feeding it three Cichlid Staple pellets a day right now though. Good luck with your Flowerhorn.

Bubba

Bubba Rwanda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Pilau, How's your Fish? Still hanging in there at least I hope? Mine ate and seemed normal for three days, then it went back to acting funny again. It spent two more days curled up on it's side again this week, and now it's back upright. All the lying on it's side is starting to cause white spots on it's fins and an eye. Think I'm going to try feeding Ghost Shrimp. Maybe he sucks in air charging to the surface for Cichlid Staple pellets?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store