Flowerhorn slow growth rate

Coggire

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2016
United Kingdom
When I got him he was around 2inches. After a month he is 2.5 inches when I measured him yesterday but his kok is getting bigger. Is this normal for his size to have the big head?

when I got him

846DA6F8-1201-4365-BB54-F327721B6B81.jpeg

98A9CA0C-7CA3-4335-90CF-0B72645574FE.jpeg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Coggire

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2016
United Kingdom
I feed him Northfin and hikari pellets. His colours are a little pale as I just transferred him to a new tank. Any suggestions how to boost his growth? Thanks

Reactions: Bbuckley

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah sometimes a FH can grow just a bit slower then others. I've had the same thing happen personally. Kept 2 female FH from the same batch of eggs and after 2.5 years 1 of em had reached 9in while the other is currently stuck of 5in. Both of em have the same parents and were born together but ended up looking nothing alike each other.

Btw yours seems to have a bit of a gut on him, could be from over feeding or he just ate before the pics were taken, but if it's the prior one I would suggest fasting him atleast once a week. It helps em stay nice and lean while also keeping em hungry enough for more food/treats.

Coggire

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2016
United Kingdom
Yeah sometimes a FH can grow just a bit slower then others. I've had the same thing happen personally. Kept 2 female FH from the same batch of eggs and after 2.5 years 1 of em had reached 9in while the other is currently stuck of 5in. Both of em have the same parents and were born together but ended up looking nothing alike each other.

Btw yours seems to have a bit of a gut on him, could be from over feeding or he just ate before the pics were taken, but if it's the prior one I would suggest fasting him atleast once a week. It helps em stay nice and lean while also keeping em hungry enough for more food/treats.
Will do, thanks for the reply

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store