Flowerhorn

Can someone please tell me which flowerhorn is it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hansie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2017
Hey guys...
My flowerhorn keeps his head out of the water and just stays still at the top of the tank. Sometimes he aggressively rubs his body on the bottom of the tank. Any clue what has happened to him and what should be done?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Hey guys...
My flowerhorn keeps his head out of the water and just stays still at the top of the tank. Sometimes he aggressively rubs his body on the bottom of the tank. Any clue what has happened to him and what should be done?
Is he breathing heavily? Is his coloration off? How large is the tank?

He could be simply displaying territorial behavior. Its not uncommon for FH to come to the top of the tank when they see you, presuming you have food for them.

Lets see some pictures of him. Been awhile since you updated on him.

Hansie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2017
Is he breathing heavily? Is his coloration off? How large is the tank?

He could be simply displaying territorial behavior. Its not uncommon for FH to come to the top of the tank when they see you, presuming you have food for them.

Lets see some pictures of him. Been awhile since you updated on him.
He breaths heavily and stays there all day long. Also his colour is faded. He doesn't even eat his food. Also sometimes he just shivers and rubs his body on the bottom of the glass heavily. I am treating him with Tetracycline tablets from past a month but he doesn't seem to get better.
Ps. I have kept the heater at 26 degrees Celsius and also keep the air pump running throughout the day

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
He breaths heavily and stays there all day long. Also his colour is faded. He doesn't even eat his food. Also sometimes he just shivers and rubs his body on the bottom of the glass heavily. I am treating him with Tetracycline tablets from past a month but he doesn't seem to get better.
Ps. I have kept the heater at 26 degrees Celsius and also keep the air pump running throughout the day
I cant be certain but it sounds like gill flukes to me. Hard to stop if you dont catch it early. While the tetracycline may be preventing serious infection from occuring, you may still have a fluke problem to address. Try to find a medicine specifically for treating gill flukes. Keep your water clean, i would change out 25-50% every day, just try not to stress the fish out unnecessarily.

Gourami Swami Gourami Swami
kno4te kno4te
RD. RD.

Reactions: islandguy11

Hansie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2017
I cant be certain but it sounds like gill flukes to me. Hard to stop if you dont catch it early. While the tetracycline may be preventing serious infection from occuring, you may still have a fluke problem to address. Try to find a medicine specifically for treating gill flukes. Keep your water clean, i would change out 25-50% every day, just try not to stress the fish out unnecessarily.

Gourami Swami Gourami Swami
kno4te kno4te
RD. RD.
Thanks... I will try this.

Hansie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2017
I believe prazipro is a commonly recommended treatment. Anything containing praziquental, really. This is all google searched by me, i have no experience using it. Good luck i hope your fish pulls through.
Yeah. Lets hope for the best.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I believe prazipro is a commonly recommended treatment. Anything containing praziquental, really. This is all google searched by me, i have no experience using it. Good luck i hope your fish pulls through.
Good info, praziquantel is what I would recommend for flukes as well. Dosaed at 1 gram per 100 gallons, you will need to use 2 doses of the stuff- the first is to kill adult flukes, and the next is to kill any flukes that will hatch from eggs after the initial treatment, since fluke eggs are not affected by the prazi. It is possible to do "dips" of prazi, but it stresses the fish out more, so I would just add to tank water. Couple days after second treatment do a large water change.
Best of luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store