Flowerhorn

Khalid2325

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
I bought my new Flowrhorn and it’s third today. He is not eating all and scars when I go near him. Please tell what should I do so he will eat.

A3E1B48E-3766-48DC-9299-0E4B924863AB.jpeg

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Keep the lights off for a week and don’t go near the tank as much and let him get used to his tank and surroundings before he gets used to you. You also need him to associate you with food so leave a pellet or two in the tank and leave it and come back 10 or so minutes later and take out the pellets if he doesn’t eat them and try again the next day. This is typical for new fish. Also I know many keep flowerhorn barebottom and it’s easier to clean but I would add a shallow layer of gravel to keep him busy and and gives him something to do.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

silverrhino8

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2019
It's clearly stressed. Those dark patches on it's body (not the flowerline, the other larger marks) are stress marks and will go away when he's feeling better. He's probably more pale than usual too. I'd keep the temp around 80, do a large water change if you haven't already, test your water for high nitrate / ammonia and add oxygen (bubbler, air pump, lower your water level etc). In addition, keep the lights off for awhile like HybridFinatic said and limit going near the tank (move slowly when you do). Just try to observe him from 6+ feet away. I've had many new flowerhorns and some take a few days to get used to you (even longer if they're smaller).

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Agreed to everything said so far. Only other thing I would add ontop of all that would be to include a place for him to hide in if he so chooses to. Like a pot or a cave that he can fit into easily. I find that FH's generally won't hide as much if there is an excess of hiding spots available in the tank.

Reactions: silverrhino8

Khalid2325

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
Agreed to everything said so far. Only other thing I would add ontop of all that would be to include a place for him to hide in if he so chooses to. Like a pot or a cave that he can fit into easily. I find that FH's generally won't hide as much if there is an excess of hiding spots available in the tank.
I tried to feed him blood worms yesterday and he ate it all but again today morning and evening I try to feed him blood worms he is not eating blood worms also

Khalid2325

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
And more thing I have noticed from the day I bought him it’s 4 days now and without eating anything only once he ate blood worms his head is growing big

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
As all stated above, he should be fine unless you already got a sick fish, sorry to say this but it happens sometimes.

However, as you already told that he ate some bw, his diet should be fine.

Mostly it's just stress, so keep feeding a little until he is 100% feel secured in the tank.

Some questions, had your tank been fully cycled, new media or fluctuations in temperature.? Perform water changes and add some stress coats, Aquarium salt wouldn't harm in little quantity.

Any decorations might sometime scare the new fish in tank.

Your observations for couple of days is the key to recover him fully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store