U.S
depends on your stock load i would say!
im once a month

zabelkid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2010
washington
i started out doing once a week for about a month then every other week buy now just stick to once a month, probably can go longer. it really depends on how fine your mech filtering would be cause that can get clogged.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
So one a month i have to change everything in my filter? Or should I change the first level of the filter one month, then next month second chamber, then third month third chamber and repeat?

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
I just rinse my sponges and leave the media inside alone. If the media has some gunk built up, you could rinse it (in tank water). I clean mine every 6-8 weeks.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I clean out my FX5 as infrequently as possible, which is probably about once every month or month and a half. When I clean it, I rinse everything in aquarium water.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Pazzoman;4572684; said:
So one a month i have to change everything in my filter? Or should I change the first level of the filter one month, then next month second chamber, then third month third chamber and repeat?
The only thing you should ever have to change is the chemical media and polishing pads (if you use either of them; neither of them are necessities). For the chemical media, it will say either on the box or on the instructions (or both) how often to change it, and for the polishing pads, I reuse them until they get clogged to the point where I can't squeeze the crap out of them anymore (pun intended :D).

The Real 118

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2009
Wisconsin
mine is once every two months

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
lol, so how long can i leave the other media in their?
Carbon every month get's changed
Filter Foam get rinsed every month
Bio max gets rinsed every month
Clear Max gets rinsed every month

...I think that is right...but when do i completely get rid of each media then replace them?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Ok I just cleaned out my Fluval FX5 Completely.....everything in thier is brand new. I know your not repose to, but the last time I did a change or even a rinse was like 5 or 6 months ago.

Now this is my "real" question.

When do I rinse the sponge and when do I change the sponge?

When do I rinse the Bio-Media and when do I change it?

When do I rinse the carbon and when do I change it?

When do I rinse the Clear-Max and when do I change it?
(I put this randomly in the last tray)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store