Fluval Fx5 recomendation / Low flow / leaks

AlexCR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2013
New Jersey
Hello all,
I just want to give you a couple of advice to those who have a Fluval Fx5 or similar models.
I have a problem of low flow, tried several times cleaning the impeller and the motor, works for a while but problem persist. Actually tried with a new impeller but nothing. Then I realized that I put a rounded sponge at the bottom, and that was reducing the out coming flow. So my strong recommendation is just to put it in the middle and never let it be to much saturated.
I want to post this since I read a lot of post of people with the same problem and no one recommended this. Try this before buying a new impeller.
Second thing, to avoid leaks between the main container and the motor, never over tight the screws of the motor, this will put to much pressure on the o ring and will provoke leaks, and you will need to replace the o ring.

Regards everyone!!!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks for posting.I have given up on two FX5 filters due to them having return flow isues that I could not figure and straighten out.
I am done with them completely but perhaps your advice can help someone else around here.

Reactions: AlexCR

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
My FX5 has been a flawless beast for 9 years strong..... I don't even know what the impeller looks like! I pull it apart and clean it about once a month. I have 2 round blue filters in EACH basket, one above and one below the other substrates inside the basket.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've always kept bio media in the middle section.The filters were great for quite a number of years up until about a few months ago.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
The round sponges that come with the fx6 are garbage, just throw them away. They just clog up and restrict flow. I’ve had my fx5 since they first came out and recently bought a fx6. The fx5 has more head pressure then the fx6 from my experience. Good thread AlexCR AlexCR

Reactions: AlexCR and Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store