Fluval FX6 for 4x1.5x1.5ft

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Is it ok if i put the intake stem strainer horizontal
Cos my tank 1.5ft high..with the strainer so long, only left few cm for substrates
I reckon can only put 1cm sand

I do not wish to cut the stem, to keep it as original
Or i have to put some filter wool inside the strainer to prevent sand from goin in
Yes you can position the intake stem however you like, straight down or sideways. Also the higher you put it then the less chance of your tank fully draining in case of a mishap/siphon effect. That said, the higher you put it the less crud it will take off the bottom of your tank. This is my approach, though I have bare bottom tanks and do waste siphonings daily, so that crud doesn't end up in my canisters and make them nitrate factories.

And while I would use a medium-coarse sponge pre-filter on the intake, I wouldn't suggest to use anything finer like wool, it'll clog up too fast and reduce your flow too much.

stereo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2006
Singapore
The strainer too long if i had to click the hose at the holder

I think i hav to hold the stem instead of the hose
Then i wont be using the middle lock clip

Sorry..not sure how to embed pics using mobile browser

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Your pics look just fine to me.

Check the filter instructions again because on my FX5 filter, the rubber connector for the intake pipe to hose connection MUST be under water to avoid sucking in air.

I understand you don't want to cut the intake pipe to make it shorter but it would be the easiest way to make it work. Or you can find some PVC pipe that is the same diameter of the intake pipe that will fit both the hose and the strainer AND figure out how to make a rubber bushing to connect at the hose end.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store