Fluval FX6 help!

juddb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
washington
I clean out the motor every few months cause sand does get caight in it, its just 4 screws pretty easy to do.

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Just a heads up that SAND + FX 5/6 Filters is a major NO-NO!!!!

If you MUST have sand, make sure you use a pre-filter on the intake....
Having this problem I think. What do people suggest for a 'pre-filter' on the intake?

*sorry to revive old thread, but I think information still applies.

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Just a heads up that SAND + FX 5/6 Filters is a major NO-NO!!!!

If you MUST have sand, make sure you use a pre-filter on the intake....
Had an FX5 for years and years, just bought and FX6 and it's been up and running a few weeks now. I only use sand as my substrate and I have never encountered any issues.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Had an FX5 for years and years, just bought and FX6 and it's been up and running a few weeks now. I only use sand as my substrate and I have never encountered any issues.

So glad to hear! :rolleyes:

Do your fish kick up a lot of sand? What kind of fish are they (African maybe -->from your avatar)? How high is your intake from the substrate?

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
.. replaced a lot of impellers from sand over the years. ... Pre-filter sponges with large fish and FX5/6 flow get plugged rather rapidly ..I cut my intake shorter in my smaller 125 , which helped but sand still found its way inside, when fish kicked it up . never had an issue with 30" deep tanks? replace the sand bottom or keep a spare impeller handy ?.. My solution went with Eheim's classics and sumps( put FX5/6 on sumps) on shallow tanks <24" with sand substrate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store