Foam under tank

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
How much out of level are we talking about? If I read your post correctly, you built a stand not level to sit on a not level area of floor. Why not just built the stand level and shim the stand? The tile floor where my tank is isn't perfectly level either. Probably 1/8-1/4 over 6' I always just shim the stand with no problems going on 7 years.
The stand is almost perfectly level on the top where the tank would sit. I am off just a bit on the right rear side of the stand if you were facing the aquarium. I am using a smaller level when I look at it so I think tonight when I get home from work I will get my long level out and check again. I just want to be sure that when I start filling it up I have wiggle room if something starts to give a little. It is a solid stand made of 2x4 and 2x6. It is glued and screwed together and weighs a ton all by itself. The floor is more what I am worried about. It is that wood with plastic on the bottom set overtop cement floor. The cement is not very level making the wood floor not level as well. Just trying to be overly cautious as I do not want 240 gallons of water in the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
I always use a piece of commercial grade carpet. It's short and makes up for any minor imperfections in the stand. Best of all it's easy to slide the tank into place if you glue the carpet to the stand.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
That is a very good idea!

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Sandwiching foam in between two pieces of plywood is really a waste of money. Just level the stand and forget trying to patch over a problem. Do it right the first time and avoid problems in the future.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I always use a piece of commercial grade carpet. It's short and makes up for any minor imperfections in the stand. Best of all it's easy to slide the tank into place if you glue the carpet to the stand.

Doing this, thanks for the idea potato

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Sandwiching foam in between two pieces of plywood is really a waste of money. Just level the stand and forget trying to patch over a problem. Do it right the first time and avoid problems in the future.
Amen

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I completely understand.

I figured you did, it was for someone who maybe didn't quite get it. I use 3M super 77 spray glue it works great. In fact I put a piece of carpet on the bottom of my stands so I can slide them around on the floor with causing any damage.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I've seen that wooden stands seem to settle and conform to a small extent. However, the two times I've used iron stands, both with 55 gallon tanks, without foam, the tanks leaked. The foam trick was told to me by an old school hobbyist decades ago and I've always used it since. Stand, foam, tank.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I've seen that wooden stands seem to settle and conform to a small extent. However, the two times I've used iron stands, both with 55 gallon tanks, without foam, the tanks leaked. The foam trick was told to me by an old school hobbyist decades ago and I've always used it since. Stand, foam, tank.
Steel stands are very easy to get off level as there are only four points of contact. They were probably not leveled correctly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store