For you pike lovers

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
"think they got a red stripe on them but hell i don't remember. "

In the dorsal fin? If they have a red stripe in the dorsal then they are probably sp. 'venezuela'...still an awesome pike....largest growing of the Lugubris family! Not as colorful as the other pikes but still kiss @$$!! :D Also, is there a black bar that extends all the way down the body pretty much following the lateral line? Another trait of sp. 'venezuela'...main thing that will help to tell them apart is that marmoratas have vertical bands that go all the way down to the lateral line down their body...venezuela doesn't...if you look close at the pictures you can see the vertical bars/bands vaguely...the fish looked stressed/scared..thus they aren't showing them very well....

phene4grene420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
york, pa
i'll get back to you on that once i get home and take another look. all i can remember is the sign at petco said they get up to 12"....but then again, wtf do they know?

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
also, you'll notice that on sp. 'venezuela'...there will be two crescent marks on the tail that poin inward forming a V....umm....i need a pic to show what i mean....err.....anyway...the wide part of the 'V' will be towards the base of the tail...with the sharp point being towards the end of the tail. It should be black. I don't think that marmorata has it...but not many accurate photos of juv. pikes it can be frustarting to distinguish them properly!

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Shweet pike up.... hehe. It does look like a sp. 'venezuela'....AWESOME PIKE!! Largest growing species in the hobby...or so they say. You can tell its not a marmorata from the black 'v' in the caudual and the lack of vertical bands above the lateral line! Awesome bro! You check out my new fishies yet? There are pictures of the marmoratas there...you can compare! :D Its in this forum, the new fishies have arrived one...:D I shoulda said something about pictures in the topic...bugga..lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store