Force Feeding Baby Brokopondo?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Hey guys, need an experts opinion on this. A few days ago I received a handful of wild bass fry. 2 out of 3 of them have been eating like pigs since day 1. However, one came looking a little thin and has refused food ever since he arrived. He's obviously hungry and tastes everything I drop in the tank but wont eat anything. He has started getting really thin, to the point Im really worried about him. I even broke my rule and got feeder guppies and ghost shrimp today but now he seems too slow and weak to be able to catch them. He caught one ghost shrimp but while trying to "chew" it, the shrimp got away. He's also very thin now, you can even see the skull bone definition on him. I really don't want to lose him so I'm considering force feeding him paste with a syringe. I wanted to hear from some more experienced people who have done this before what they think the best method of this is. Do I move the fry into a very shallow bowl and shove the paste down his throat? Do I just dangle it in front of him until he eats it? Should I even remove him from the tank during the procedure? Will this stress him out too much and possibly kill him? I'm very worried so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
sucks man,

1/2 of mine that came from PF was super skinny and i thought he may die... it eventually ate... i’d presume yours came from Wes?

man, id give him tiny feeders until you feel him healthy enough...

i’d opt out of the force feeding.

sucks ?

Reactions: tlindsey

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
sucks man,

1/2 of mine that came from PF was super skinny and i thought he may die... it eventually ate... i’d presume yours came from Wes?

man, id give him tiny feeders until you feel him healthy enough...

i’d opt out of the force feeding.

sucks ?
Yeah the poor guys struggling, trying to find food everywhere except right in front of his fricken face with everything I drop in. I just went in to check on him though and thankfully it looks like he did get something down as his stomach is less concave now. At least for today he should be alright but Im going to have to forgo my non-live policy for a few weeks or until he starts taking frozen. Normally Id starve until converted but I feel like this guy has 1-2 days left in him tops without food.

Picky little bugger heard me talking about force feeding and was like "oh hell no, I better eat something"

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus and dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
GL!

Reactions: Blakewater

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I know nothing about peacock bass but have you considered cutting the tail fin and a side fin off of the guppies and ripping most of the legs off of the ghost shrimp so they can’t get away? Maybe put the food and fish in a breeder box when it’s feeding time?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I know nothing about peacock bass but have you considered cutting the tail fin and a side fin off of the guppies and ripping most of the legs off of the ghost shrimp so they can’t get away? Maybe put the food and fish in a breeder box when it’s feeding time?
I considered the breeder box but figured the added stress of moving the broko would make it less likely to eat. The idea to cut the fins off of the guppies and legs off the shrimp is fantastic though! Definitely going to give it a try. Thanks so much

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wouldn't go the force feed route as it might be too stressful and do the fish in.I have used a net breeder box as previously described in similar situations in the past.
I suggest keeping the fish in the box for about a week until the fish gains some girth and strength.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I used to have to “spike” goldfish for some of my slower piranhas back in the day.

take the head of the guppy in this case between both fingers then stick the end of a sharp knife into its head. Just a bit not all the way.

it makes them pretty handicapped so they spin around in circles, so there is still the live prey aspect but they are easy to catch.

pulling legs off ghost shrimp won’t do anything. They use their tail to scoot backward, even if they had no legs they can still get away.

not sure if the bass would be scared of tongs or not? If not grab the ghost shrimp (from a net) by the head with tongs and hold in front of the bass. When the shrimp scoots backward it will go right toward the bass. Don’t think that would work if the bass is scared of the tongs though. This method worked with my rays.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I used to have to “spike” goldfish for some of my slower piranhas back in the day.

take the head of the guppy in this case between both fingers then stick the end of a sharp knife into its head. Just a bit not all the way.

it makes them pretty handicapped so they spin around in circles, so there is still the live prey aspect but they are easy to catch.

pulling legs off ghost shrimp won’t do anything. They use their tail to scoot backward, even if they had no legs they can still get away.

not sure if the bass would be scared of tongs or not? If not grab the ghost shrimp (from a net) by the head with tongs and hold in front of the bass. When the shrimp scoots backward it will go right toward the bass. Don’t think that would work if the bass is scared of the tongs though. This method worked with my rays.
Dang haha that's some good advice but Idk if I can make myself go that far with guppies. Chopping tails is already a stretch for me so Im not sure I have the balls to lobotomize them lol. I was thinking the same thing about the shrimp though, ill probably just feed guppies for now anyway. Unfortunately, he is pretty weary of anything that is inside the tank. Maybe after he matures and gets comfy I can use the tongs if still necessary. Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Dang haha that's some good advice but Idk if I can make myself go that far with guppies. Chopping tails is already a stretch for me so Im not sure I have the balls to lobotomize them lol. I was thinking the same thing about the shrimp though, ill probably just feed guppies for now anyway. Unfortunately, he is pretty weary of anything that is inside the tank. Maybe after he matures and gets comfy I can use the tongs if still necessary. Thanks!
Lol, ya I was kind of a morbid kid as my mom would say.

I don’t think I would typically do that now days.

have you tried live earth worms, blood worms, black worms?

Reactions: Blakewater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store