Found a giant mekong catfish

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I'm not a catfish expert either but that fish looks like pangasias sutchii.
It lacks the shark like appearance of pangasias sanitwongi. Spelling may be a little off from memory.

Reactions: islandguy11

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The tail fins look different than an iridescent shark's and in the second photo the head shape looks different as well.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IMO, this is a stunted or poor quality / health (because of the oversized eyes) iridescent shark catfish aka Pangasionodon hypophthalmus, junior synonym Pangasius sutchi.

All I know about the MGC ID is here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...s-how-to-id-mekong-giant-catfish-juvi.584508/

I personally don't believe anyone of us ever had one (I think it is a hoax or a scam, more or less elaborate, to get money out of hobbyists) but some claimed and still insist they did / do, so they can chime in with their opinion too
bobVillanueva bobVillanueva
GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg

Sometimes some hybrids seem to become available of unknown Pangasiidae species, which too confuses people. It seems there is a laboratory activity in Asia exploring hybridization of MGC with other species and the products of such (IMHO illegal, immoral, and wretched) activity are spilled over into our trade.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Explain your reasoning please, if you will, for the benefit of all who read it now and who will will be reading this thread in the hundred years to come.

Nikokolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2019
Was the picture clear enough? Imma ask the owner to send me a clearer picturep

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
IMO, this is a stunted or poor quality / health (because of the oversized eyes) iridescent shark catfish aka Pangasionodon hypophthalmus, junior synonym Pangasius sutchi.

All I know about the MGC ID is here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...s-how-to-id-mekong-giant-catfish-juvi.584508/

I personally don't believe anyone of us ever had one (I think it is a hoax or a scam, more or less elaborate, to get money out of hobbyists) but some claimed and still insist they did / do, so they can chime in with their opinion too
bobVillanueva bobVillanueva
GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg

Sometimes some hybrids seem to become available of unknown Pangasiidae species, which too confuses people. It seems there is a laboratory activity in Asia exploring hybridization of MGC with other species and the products of such (IMHO illegal, immoral, and wretched) activity are spilled over into our trade.
Yep, fins are the same as Pangasionodon hypophthalmus:

ice_screenshot_20191228-004229.png
(http://badmanstropicalfish.com/stats/stats_catfish_Pangasius_hypophthalmus.html)

OP's fish is a tad younger/smaller (if not stunted as Viktor says), so the fin coloration isn't as strong as above but they're the same.

20191227_194005.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store