Four-line Pim catfish sextet, ~8"-10", Pimelodus blochii, in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Here is a video featuring six 4-line Pim catfish that we currently house in 4500 gal. They are 8"-10" (eyeball estimates). These are all Pimelodus blochii or of the blochii type, which, AFAIK, is characterized by a large black spot at the base of their dorsal fin.

Four of them look more or less like the usual blochii and are rescues. Another I bought for $30 about 4 years ago from Aquabid that claimed it was P. maculatus, which of course it wasn't as it still had that black spot of the blochii group that maculatus doesn't have. Still, it's body spotting pattern is different, crisp (it was different when I was buying it too at 3" with large black spots) and you will see in the video that it differs from the rest of the blochii, albeit other than the coloration, it looks identical. With years its spots became smaller w.r.t. to the body size, crisper, and 100x more numerous.

The last one is a survivor of a group of 3 that I got 6 years ago that I thought were Pimelodus tetramerus because of their more pronounced 4 lines on each side (true today and back then too at 2"). Consistent with this tentative ID is the fish's size too as it is clearly the smallest of the group at about 8" and has not grown any in a couple of years. The other two fell victim I suppose to one of my jau catfish a long time ago in a 500 gal pond.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
You just had to post this and tease me. I'm a sucker for Pimelodus cats. Beautiful indeed. Before I sold the 3rd blochii, I too notice that it's pattern was not the same as the 2 that I currently have. It lacked the lines and had numerous spots. It did have the big black spot at the base of the dorsal like blochii's. Sometimes I wish that I would've kept it too see if the spots changed like you said but it didn't play well with the other 2 and my tanks not big enough to house 3 comfortably without fights breaking out.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Those are nice!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks guys! When it comes to catfish, 4-Lines have been my first love along with channels. I always enjoy their antics.

I also forgot to mention that the one that I suppose may be tetramerus also has a bit different body and fin proportions. I wonder if you noticed.

You just had to post this and tease me...
Well, of course. Goes without saying. It's all about you Fishnatics ;) :p And I did warn you a while ago. You had months to prepare :)

... Before I sold the 3rd blochii, I too notice that it's pattern was not the same as the 2 that I currently have. It lacked the lines and had numerous spots. It did have the big black spot at the base of the dorsal like blochii's. Sometimes I wish that I would've kept it too see if the spots changed like you said ...
Well, you won't make this mistake again, will yah? Pack it up next time and send it over :)

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Thanks guys! When it comes to catfish, 4-Lines have been my first love along with channels. I always enjoy their antics.

I also forgot to mention that the one that I suppose may be tetramerus also has a bit different body and fin proportions. I wonder if you noticed.

Well, of course. Goes without saying. It's all about you Fishnatics ;) :p And I did warn you a while ago. You had months to prepare :)

Well, you won't make this mistake again, will yah? Pack it up next time and send it over :)
Glad that I read your post and thanks for sharing your experience with them. You learn from them. Haven't seen them for sale for awhile now at least the big ones. If I ever come across one like the one I sold, definitely gonna hold on to it. Now watching your videos, makes me wish I had the space to get a pond just for my Pimelodus.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
One of my favorite cats for the hobby, thanks for sharing

Those rip saws are ridiculous

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My silver aros had to move into that 4500 gal, so I removed all the 4-line Pims into a 240 gal. Turned out there are 5, not 6. Sorry about that.

They usually do ok but once in a while one of them gets a whooping, as you will see one in here did. I guess it challenged the pecking order but can't be certain. They heal up quick and grow back their finnage fine.

Update, June 14, 2017:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
And so from 6 down to 5 and now down to 4 :(

My own "I can't believe what my gulper has done" story came to pass after all.

After a year of 5 blochii and 3 gulpers being together in a 240 gal, one of the gulpers swallowed the smallest blochii, which, of course (sarcasm), was the most interesting one to me as it looked different and I tentatively assigned it a Pimelodus tetramerus ID.

It was the sole survivor of 5 I bought in 2011 as tester fish for my new ponds, when we moved to Naples from upstate NY. Three of that batch looked like tetramerus, the rest looked like the usual blochii. All others have been picked off over the years by jau catfish and other predators because they were growing together and couldn't monitor what was happening in those ponds.

The gulper is ~9", the tetramerus was too 8"-9".

Out of the water part of the video is narrated:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store