Four tropical gars, one florida gar, ~12"-15"

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I did think the pic looked a bit odd lol... Wasent sure if the longer snout was just deceptive for the proportions or just mislabeled all together like ur sayin. I tried checking georgias state record florida gar and all that comes up is longnose. Checked my own state and theres only a record for longnose as well with 3 native gar species in ohio. Its pretty sad the vast majority and probably even most DNR can’t properly identify their own states species. Fitting lol...
regardless, ur 3’ specimen is a state record for florida and most likely all of captivity ?... if it wernt for ur “report” id go blue in the face telling everyone they never surpass 28” lol... ill keep trying to do some digging for ya just outta curiosity. Id like to see one at the 40” mark with the reports of being able to reach 52”.
To me, the first photo is most definitely of the longnose gar, which indeed can grow to 5'+, so a 4-footer is no surprise... if one doesn't call it a FL gar :)

You haven't read my post carefully enough :) Our longnose is close to 3', not FL gar. Our biggest FL gar is roughly 30", so your 28" number is correct in my eyes.

Thank you for all the homework. Much appreciated, Russ.

View attachment 1469968View attachment 1469969
found this more accurate representation lol... sadly fell to an arrow... ?‍♂?
Is this record from an official source? This looks like FL (I hope not an alligator gar) but doesn't look like 3 feet to me, unless the dude holding it is 7-8 feet tall :) But if it is official, I'd trust it.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
To me, the first photo is most definitely of the longnose gar, which indeed can grow to 5'+, so a 4-footer is no surprise... if one doesn't call it a FL gar :)

You haven't read my post carefully enough :) Our longnose is close to 3', not FL gar. Our biggest FL gar is roughly 30", so your 28" number is correct in my eyes.

Thank you for all the homework. Much appreciated, Russ.

Is this record from an official source? This looks like FL (I hope not an alligator gar) but doesn't look like 3 feet to me, unless the dude holding it is 7-8 feet tall :) But if it is official, I'd trust it.
Ahhh def. misread that... 30” florida is still very large for captivity IME... not sure how “ohfishial” that source was i found. Looks to be atleast 30”ish range for sure. I know very well pics can go either way by holding techniques. Most all “state records” go by weight so the offical record for florida is 28” 9lbs rod n reel... im not sure if the bowfishermen are actually recognized, i hope not ??... no sport in that for air breathing fish...

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Thanks for the shout-outs in the thread! I'm catching up.
I think the ID issues have been addressed, that earlier "record" photo is definitely a Longnose Gar, and the later "record" photo is a Florida Gar.

Fun Fact: we got the "world record" size Longnose Gar changed this past year at IGFA, it's been listed as 72" for decades (even in field guides), but we've reviewed the images and they are of a hybrid Longnose x Alligator Gar (not a Longnose Gar). So the max size for Longnose Gar will also be revised (it's closer to ~60").

I'll try to check in from time to time (I still have a tank of gars at home, and lots of tanks at GarLab, but I'm not able to get on the forums as much these days/years with two little kids). Feel free to DM me on Twitter (@SolomonRDavid), Facebook, or Instagram (@solomon.r.david) if I don't respond here! Hope you're all doing well!--
--Solomon

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you, Solomon! What a great authoritative input.

I was hoping you'd answer my questions:

[1] What's the record size and/or ordinary expected max size for a FL gar? Have you seen a 3' FL gar?

[2] Do female FL gars grow bigger, longer than males?

[3] IDK the source of FL gars in the US pet shops. Are they captive bred or wild-harvested?

[4] Looks like I am "garignorant" - my new word for your gar glossary :) First time I hear of longnose x alligator hybrid gar. Are they natural or man made? Can you show up pics or point us to a writeup with pics, if such existed?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
E_americanus E_americanus Hi Solomon (see the post above, please)

We have gotten 7 cuban gars 8"-10" from Brad of Chicago Stingrays (2 sub par fish to be sold at half price), our first ever cubans. Such strong and hungry fish - they would have fed in the shipping bag if offered. Brad fed them floating pellets which they gobble down and I do too but mostly I give them now 2"-3" thawed silversides:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The arrival of a new 2ft Florida gar from Randy, our fellow rescuer of Fort Myers, FL:

Reactions: HPIZZLE

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The 7 cuban gar are about 1ft now, so that's roughly 1"/month growth rate. Continue having an enviable appetite.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
All seven have been on the same path, doing well, feeding well and growing. Got more girth now.

Reactions: Hao

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The 7 Cubans are about 13"-14" now, doing well but growing rather slowly, 1 inch or less a month.

Took one tropical gar of the 3 to Rodrigo of Predatory Fins last Nov 2021:

Elvis, the FL gar passed at about 12 years old (10 years with us, including 6 years in the former koi pond outdoors) unexpectedly, over a course of a week (seems to swell a bit over the body, rear half too high, won't sink, bladder problem). I don't think of old age at all. I think it is the same bacterial or protozoan parasitic, as the main cause, that took out lots of our fish.

I also think that insufficient water changes contributed too. I waited too long to replace 6 RO membranes. The WC was like 100% in 3-4 weeks for the last couple of years, versus 3-4 days when the RO membranes are fresh. Even though the TDS was still around 300 ppm, that is quite acceptable, I think this is at least one significant compounding factor in the passing of the gar.

28" if the tail was not chewed up post mortem. 12 yo.

100_9952.JPG100_9953.JPG100_9954.JPG100_9955.JPG100_9956.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: Hao
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store