Frayed or ripped disc

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Not sure what’s caused it but yesterday there was one frayed spot now there r a few. How do I heal it up? It swam a lot when I bought it but since I noticed the places it just been laying around.
Tank mates r 3 upper jaw bichirs a Oscar a small dat and small bowfin. I havnt seen any of the fish bothering him. Idk if it could be tearing on driftwood and fake plants.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Clean water and salt is enough, 1 tsp per g. Could be from driftwood. Just make sure no aggression from other fish.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Clean water and salt is enough, 1 tsp per g. Could be from driftwood. Just make sure no aggression from other fish.
Alright so like every other fish. Ya me and my wife been watching last 2 days havnt seen any of the fish touch him. It’s fins do look a lot worse today than yesterday tho with new places and the original place is worse

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Hmm.. Do you think that it is possible that the upperjaws nip the ray when the lights are off?

FWSKY

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2020
Is this ray new and you just added it to your tank? Looks like bacteria infection to me or ammonia burn when I have seen this before I isolated the ray in a small tank alone lots of clean water and salt at 1 tbsp per gallon. If it is just laying around not moving much that is usually not a good sign. When I have seen something biting a ray and chewing on it you usually see rough edges chunks bitten off that looks more like it is rotting away.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Is this ray new and you just added it to your tank? Looks like bacteria infection to me or ammonia burn when I have seen this before I isolated the ray in a small tank alone lots of clean water and salt at 1 tbsp per gallon. If it is just laying around not moving much that is usually not a good sign. When I have seen something biting a ray and chewing on it you usually see rough edges chunks bitten off that looks more like it is rotting away.
It’s not bites I have determined that. What u described is exactly what it looks like. Like it’s rotting away. And ya the ray I got Saturday

Reactions: Polypterus_36
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store