Freeze Dried Minnows

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried feeding these to you fish. Appears they are made as a treat for dogs. Ingredients list them as truly freeze dried minnows.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried feeding these to you fish. Appears they are made as a treat for dogs. Ingredients list them as truly freeze dried minnows.
Nobody out there has tried these with fish?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Never heard of the dog treats. However, I was wondering the same about dried anchovies that they sell at the Asian markets. Ingredients are simply: dried anchovies...no added salt or preservatives. Hope someone’s tried either and will let us know

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Are these cheaper than freeze dried krill? I would do a comparison of the analysis content of either one to typical freeze dried krill, e.g.

Apx. Analysis:
Protein - 60%
Fat - 10%
Fibre - 19%
Moisture - 6%

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Haven’t compared nutrition analysis but the dried anchovies are cheap enough...about the same as krill. I figure they are nutritious

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Looks like the minnows have similar analysis. One reason I was interested in the minnows is stuffing pellets or sticks for p bass. Just can't get them to eat the sticks continually. Have oscars in the tank so need/want equal growth. For now putting drops of Vita Chem on krill.
Also just feeding some minnows would be a diversity. I will eventually try them. Just letting the bass and oscars get a wee bit bigger. BTW-I'm too lazy to keep frozen silver sides and last thing I want is for pbass to expect them at every meal time.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
My bass was initially that way, until it realized it wasn't getting anything else and that everyone else was going bat ****z over the pellets. Now it's the first to demand to be fed, and will tail slap everyone else near by because it's so eager to be fed anything.

Let then starve for a bit and they won't be picky.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
My bass was initially that way, until it realized it wasn't getting anything else and that everyone else was going bat ****z over the pellets. Now it's the first to demand to be fed, and will tail slap everyone else near by because it's so eager to be fed anything.

Let then starve for a bit and they won't be picky.
I hear you. I have tried and I will try again sometime. Right now oscars are growing so fast it's scaring me.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Just reporting in that the bass and oscars eat the minnows. I just feed occasionally. It helps fill the bass's tummy. Don't worry, the fish also eat pellets, sticks etc. and I also use vita-chem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store