Freshwater eels?

LucasOfishkeeper

Feeder Fish
Oct 7, 2017
:)Hi! For a while now I've been wanting an eel for freshwater, and I don't know which kind is small, stays small, and would make a cool pet for me. Anyone who can, respond asap. Thanks!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
What size tank are you working with and what tankmates will said eel be living with???

Bit more info will help people give you ideas...

I should also ask now if its an open top system... since all eels are real escape artists...

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
:)Hi! For a while now I've been wanting an eel for freshwater, and I don't know which kind is small, stays small, and would make a cool pet for me. Anyone who can, respond asap. Thanks!

Research Spiny Eels but Fire Eels get huge and a Peacock Eel would be ideal depending on aquarium size.

ArowanaMan99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2017
When I had a freshwater eel it was awesome. It was also an escape artist. I sealed the tank cover shut and it still managed to sneak out though the filter... and then dried up and died

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
I used to have an Anguilla Bicolor (Indonesian eel) for years, it was a very nice pet, very intelligent, I trained it to take all kinds of food live or processed, to the point of hand-feeding. But then it grown to be very large, and I donated it to a friend who has a larger aquarium.

Here is a nice clip of my Anguila Bicolor.

Nowadays I keep a small Echidna Rhodochilus (white-cheeked moray eel) in low-end/semi-brackish aquarium (it's practically freshwater with 1/4 part seawater, actual seawater I took from the beach, not "seawater" made of artificial salts).

Echidna Rhodochilus is a very cute eel, and it stays small (maximum length 35 cm). If you could provide a nice low-end/semi-brackish environment for it, it will do fine. Here is a nice clip of my Echidna.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store