Freshwater Flounder

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
so whats better, reg aquarium salt or saltwater salt? and do you place more with water changes or is it just a 1 time input?

aquariageek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Pennsylvania, USA
IMHO, I would use regular aquarium salt for them. Doc Wellfish's always works for me. 1 rounded TBSP per 5 gallons. The salt generally wont evaporate out, so only add salt when you do a water change- I usually add about 1 TBSP per half tank change when I do a monthly gravel vaccuum. However, for brackish conditions, youll want to use more- but Im not really sure how much...

A lot of people argue over whether or not to use regular salt or the synthetic stuff...

zekni

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
St. George, Utah
For brackish water, you need to use marine salt. Remember, brackish is a mix of freshwater and marine conditions, where freshwater rivers and such run into oceans. You need marine salt to provide the minerals (to a much lesser degree) of salt water for true brackish conditions. Get a hydrometer. You'd be surprised how much salt it actually takes for a brackish environment.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Just a point about "chinese"flounders, there are 4 tongue soles, one true sole, and one flounder that commonly spend at least some time in Chinese freshwaters, they are seldom imported. there are at least 2 fully freshwater flounders from SA but they are also rarely imported.
There are several asian and SA tropicals that are brackish that do show up but just as common are brackish water soles from the southern US. They do poorly in heated tanks.
The point of this ramble is that common names don't mean a thing and don't blame the LFS on this one as most the time they don't know what species they were sent either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store