Freshwater Flounder

id10t

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Look for a hogchoker, or more info on 'em. They are native to the springs around here in N Fla, and from everything I've read they are fresh all their life.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hogchokers are fish that give classifiers fits, they will happily live in everything from full salt to totally fresh, I have read that even the freshwater ones will move to somewhat brackish to breed but if you are not breeding it then who cares? They get about 8" long. They do prefer temps a bit lower than most tropicals and the wild cught ones tend to have flukes, they show uo as dark spots near the base of the fines if you backlight them. Just use a antiparasite medicated food like the one made by jungle during your 10-14 day quarantine, They will eat small fish.
There are more flounders and soles that will live but not breed in fresh water. you just need to ID your fish to check it out.
Even some of the tongue soles will live in fw (most of the Cynoglossus sp.) and some will breed there like the two from Borneo/Sumatra, the C. kapuansis (11") and the C. waandersii (4"). I have never seen them for sale but they are not rare fish.
The C. arel and C. bilineatus do show up in stores sometimes and they get a bit more than 16" but can't be bred except in salt water.

tn_Cywaa_u0.gif

tn_Cykap_u0.gif

a806-05.jpg

cynoglossus_bilineatus30414.jpg

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Great Thread!

Also curious on the specifics for this species: Achirus lineatus.. That is the lined sole that you described, the brackish one?

I am interesting in importing these guys, however I am unsure of how well they would sell via internet..

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Miles said:
Great Thread!

Also curious on the specifics for this species: Achirus lineatus.. That is the lined sole that you described, the brackish one?

I am interesting in importing these guys, however I am unsure of how well they would sell via internet..
I wasn't able to find very much, mainly occurance surveys, a few seafood wholesalers, and reports of catch precentages.
It is also called both twolined tonguesole and fourlined tongue sole because it has two lateral lines on each side. The color is from light brown to dark brown on the darkside and it has a dark patch on the gill cover, underside is white. It is widespread throughout the Indo-pacific from East africa through Samoa including Sri lanka and India. In the Phillipines it is sold as the Dapa or Dapang. It is also found in the Mekong delta.
It is often sold as a food fish and used to make fish meal. It prefers warm water 26-29 degrees C. and while it will live in freshwater it won't breed there and stays healtier in brackish. it gets to 44 cm. and eats mainly inverts but will take small fish. Thats all I got for you Miles. To sell I think you would need some decent pictures of live ones in a tank. these pics are from a seafood company in Micronesia. I wasn't able to find any decent shots. The place I saw them for sale was in Oakland/Hayward, Ca. several years ago. They also had nice banded tonguesoles in full salt.

sole_tropicale.jpg

nio.GIF

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store