FRESHWATER STONE FISH!

Michael101

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
South Africa
(i have no idea where this thread should be placed?)
My fish shop has brought in freshwater stone fish! I have never even heard of one, it looks amazing! Can anyone tell me more about them, maybe some of you own one? Pics would be great too thanks...
Michael

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Michael101;1952461; said:
(i have no idea where this thread should be placed?)
My fish shop has brought in freshwater stone fish! I have never even heard of one, it looks amazing! Can anyone tell me more about them, maybe some of you own one? Pics would be great too thanks...
Michael
Is that the fish that looks like the marine oyster toad fish?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I had one for a month. Died. They are brackish water fish and not freshwater per say...you know...anything brackish is considered "freshwater" to make it seem more "easy" to keep.

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com

There are a few different species labelled at freshwater stonefish/toadfish. Mine is an allenbatrachus grunniens (aka grunting toadfish). Mine has been in total fresh since I bought it 2½ years and still going strong. Mine gets a dozen feeder goldfish every month or two. He will pick them off over a few weeks and then be fasted for a while before the next lot. This seems to work well so far. There is much debate over fresh/brack/salt, and for me fresh has worked out well, with steady growth since I got it. I have heard of many more dying, including those in brackish and salt, so you will I guess have to make your own choice on how best to care for one. I did have two, which spawned but unfortuntely the spawn was not viable and the female toadfish also died during spawning :(

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Cichlas;1953148; said:
There are a few different species labelled at freshwater stonefish/toadfish. Mine is an allenbatrachus grunniens (aka grunting toadfish). Mine has been in total fresh since I bought it 2½ years and still going strong. Mine gets a dozen feeder goldfish every month or two. He will pick them off over a few weeks and then be fasted for a while before the next lot. This seems to work well so far. There is much debate over fresh/brack/salt, and for me fresh has worked out well, with steady growth since I got it. I have heard of many more dying, including those in brackish and salt, so you will I guess have to make your own choice on how best to care for one. I did have two, which spawned but unfortuntely the spawn was not viable and the female toadfish also died during spawning :(
Wow.. you still have that guy? Big props to you. I want to try another one very badly but my LFS sells them for $35 each now and it's just too much of a gamble with these guys.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Some are poisonous...Mine also died after a couple of months, but I guess it was because they did not get to the food on account of the tank neighbours.....

Gucci

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2007
Germany
I have two fat Allenbatrachus grunniens for about a year now in pure freshwater. They do great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store