Frontosa flashing endlessly

aquamatrix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2018
That is puzzling.
Are they the only fish in the tank?
Yep they are, frontosas only. Might have 1 or 2 trumpet snails left, but nothing else living in this tank.
It's getting worse today for the big male, now he's clamping his fins and unlike before, he seems to get bothered, his flashings seem to get more and more violent. I think i will try a salt bath, i'm really not a fan of salt but i can give it a try. I don't know. If it's gill flukes, Paraguard/salt should have worked unless it's something else.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Do you think it might be Oodinium. The Paraguard might be knocking the bugs back a bit, but not able to exterminate. I'm not a big fan of salt either. Maybe consider using Coppersafe or Formalin. I've had good results with those meds in the past.

Reactions: aquamatrix

aquamatrix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2018
Do you think it might be Oodinium. The Paraguard might be knocking the bugs back a bit, but not able to exterminate. I'm not a big fan of salt either. Maybe consider using Coppersafe or Formalin. I've had good results with those meds in the past.
That was a possibility yes, but i really don't see any spots, white or yellow dust on their skin. Maybe a little bit of red marks on the male's gills but really nothing bad.

I'm pretty sure you're right about Paraguard and i've been really hesitating before using it. I don't like products claiming that it can be used as a preventive or whenever you put a new fish in your tank VS you have a serious problem and you must be using the same product cause you keep using it again and again until your fish are immunized and resistant to it and then you switch to something stronger...

I think i will not use Paraguard again, that was a bad choice and i'd rather stick to Prazipro which i had good results with. About Formalin or Coppersafe, i don't know, never used them, i'll look that up. Back in the time, the only med i used was Methylene Blue, i think some of my oldest tanks still have blue silicone from it :D

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

aquamatrix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2018
OK, little update. I've started treating with Prazipro yesterday. Took of the UV and the purigen, did a medium WC and put one dose of Prazipro as indicated.
Today, only the big male is flashing, the others stopped. I've been monitoring them for about 2 hours, no flashing at all from the females. But he seems to act as bad as the previous days.
So, it makes me even more confused. My thought is maybe it's indeed gill flukes and because he is bigger, he's more impacted and the flukes are bigger as well. Or maybe he's still flashing because they are falling off. I hope it's that.
I will do nothing for a few days, as this med seems to be a little strong and according to the manufacturer, one dose seems to be enough. I will see in a couple of days if he's still flashing. If so, i think i may have to quarantine him.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store