frontosa growth

KurseD

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2005
the rock...671!!!
can anyone tell me the growth rate of a frontosa? i know they get pretty big, but they just got a shipment in at my LFS, and pretty small, under an 1in. are they're growth rates like that of a p.bass or GT?

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Haven't had any of those before but when I had my frontosas it went from about 1in to 4in in a little over a year so it is pretty slow. This was in a 90gl with plenty of feedings and weekly water changes.

It can take a lot longer though if you don't take to good of care of them. One of my friends got some the same day as me. He ins't as experienced in fish keeping and in a year his only grew maybe an inch.

So there can be a lot of factors in their growth rate. But overall it tends to be slow, slower in a small tank.

JD_MAN

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
Indy Anna
They grow very slow. I have had mine about a year and a half and he is about 7". It takes them a couple of years to get to full size.

Fin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Canada
www.cyphos.com
In their first year of growth its pretty fast and should achieve a size of around 4 - 5 inches in size depending on aquarium conditions and also diet .After the first year the growth slows down by the second year or around there they might be even mature enough to breed

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Yah mine are growing like an inch or inch in a half some 2 inches a year but they grow really slow

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
Just wanted to add, i had my frontosa's for almost 2 years. when i first got them they were about 2 inches. Now one of them is 6" and some are 4" and some are 3.5". I feed them all at the same time with the same type of diet. I guess the more dominant male gets most of the food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store