Frontosa ID

Iggyliciious

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
SG
Hi everyone, I just got a frontosa a week ago from my LFS.

IMG_2720.PNG
IMG_2721.PNG

What caught my eye was his colour. Or rather his lack of colour. I’ve been trying to search for a similar piece but no luck so far. Could anyone point me in the direction of what colour/ morph he could be? He is totally white, and I’m able to see his swim bladder.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: PS had issues with uploading the photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I don't see a pic of the fish?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I can see the pics now, thanks!!

That fish does NOT look like a Frontosa to me at all. How large is the fish?

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Take a look at the fish in my avatar (the picture to the left). That is a frontosa. Sorry, I do not know what yours is.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The fish is too small to say for sure what species it is but it does appear to be a Malawi cichlid of some kind.

Iggyliciious

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
SG
Take a look at the fish in my avatar (the picture to the left). That is a frontosa. Sorry, I do not know what yours is.
Thank you for your very helpful post Mr Punman. I am very well aware of how an adult frontosa looks like.

The fish is too small to say for sure what species it is but it does appear to be a Malawi cichlid of some kind.
Thanks! I will try to grow it out and see how it turns out to be. Was just checking here if anyone knows how a different colour morph of a frontosa juvenile looks like.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Could even be a cichlid from Lake Tanganyika - too early to tell. Did the fish store not have an inkling to what it was?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store